ICLA Technical Assistant - Dikwa (Nigeria Nationals Only)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the camp management, shelter, education, food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The ICLA Technical Assistant reports to the ICLA Officer.
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about ICLA activities to ensure accountability.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Assist the ICLA Officer to ensure that procurement and distribution of materials are timely and according to procedures
- Participate and contribute in the development/modification of Housing, Land & Property (HLP) and Community Dispute Resolution (CDR) training modules
- Participate and contribute in the development of Housing Land and Property and Identity IEC materials
- Assist in the direct implementation of ICLA project activities
- Implement the legal assistance programs including Housing, Land and Property, Conflict Dispute Resolution and identity documentation activities innovatively to adapt to location and context in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements and optimise opportunities for synergies
- University Degree in Law from a recognized Nigerian University, and a thorough knowledge of Nigerian law;
- Work experience in the field of law (e.g. courts, attorney or legal aid agencies), preferably experience in working with clients;
- Valid membership to the Nigerian Bar Association
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Education title: University Degree in Law from a recognized Nigerian University
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Handling insecure environment
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: April 2018
- Duration: 10 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions (Grade Level 4 Step 1)
- Duty station: Maiduguri, with frequent travels. Travel outside Maiduguri is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certficate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Dikwa
- Grade: Junior
- Legal - International Law
- Administrative support
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 2018-02-23