UN Women: Junior International Consultant on Women Peace and Security and Humanitarian Action
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Governance and Leadership Unit of UN Women Nepal is responsible for providing support to advance women's leadership and participation in governance systems, working in close collaboration with key duty bearers and right holders. The programme focus will be on gender-responsive laws, plans and budgets to advance inclusive governance and access to justice in Nepal. As part of UN Joint Task Force on Conflict-Related Sexual Violence and Transitional Justice, UN Women will continue to work with conflict victims’ groups, civil society organisations, development partners and UN agencies to integrate the concerns of survivors of conflict in the second phase of NAP on UNSCR 1325 and its subsequent resolutions. These concerns will also be addressed through informal non-judicial transitional justice measures and reparation programmes. UN Women will also engage partners by leveraging the capacity of concerned stakeholders like justice sector actors, civil society, government institutions.
With the purpose of providing technical and logistic support to the Governance and Leadership Unit, UN Women is recruiting an international consultant to be based in the Nepal Country Office (NCO). The consultant will be responsible for providing technical, logistic and coordination support to the Governance and Leadership unit. She/he will work in close collaboration with the programme and operations team of Leadership and Governance Unit of UN Women Nepal and its UN, CSO, and Development partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist (Women, Peace, Security and Humanitarian) in collaboration with thematic programme lead, the Consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Support in drafting of donor reports of Advancing Resilience and Empowerment Project, EU Project on Gender Responsive Transitional Justice;
- Drafting TORs on National Action Plan validation and sharing, NAP baseline, Intergenerational dialogue (including TOT), Legal assistance to conflict victims, Digital Platform, Documentation as part of peace museum and digital platform;
- Draft brief document on the efforts made by different stakeholders on memorialization and truth telling in Nepal with specific focus on gender issues;
- Develop situation brief regarding women, peace and security, transitional justice, early warning on potential conflicts risks;
- Develop meeting notes and proceedings of meetings and events related to women, peace and security;
- Develop PowerPoint for National Action Plan endorsement and validation workshop;
- Draft speech for head of agency for validation, endorsement of National Action Plan and for launching for digital platform, Artistic Engagement, Art exhibition.
- At least 4 Terms of Reference for implementing annual work plan 2018;
- Quality donor reports of women, peace and security projects;
- At least 3 situation updates (on non-judicial reparation, early warning, gender responsive);
- Brief document on efforts made by different stakeholders on memorialization and truth telling in Nepal with specific focus on gender issues;
- Workshop and meeting reports;
- Speeches and talking points for upcoming events (Digital platform, artistic engagement, art exhibition);
- Power Point presentations;
- Quality concept note on reparation, truth telling/memorialization;
- Quality knowledge products;
- Briefs, concept notes/proposals;
- Monthly work plans.
DUTY STATION AND DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
- This is a Kathmandu based assignment and thus no travel and DSA are applicable. The duration of the assignment is for period from March – May (three months) with possibility of extension.
SCHEDULE OF PAYMENTS:
- Payment will be based on the unit rate as per the standard guideline of UN Women payment rates for short-term consultant and based on the quantity called off and upon certification of satisfactory performance by the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Leading by Example
- Strong research and analytical skills;
- Excellent organisational, inter-personal, and communication skills;
- Close attention to details;
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights, access to justice and transitional justice mechanism;
- Focuses on impact and results and responds positively to feedback;
- Approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Able to work effectively in a team and in an international environment;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Proven ability to manage diverse and complex tasks, with tight deadlines;
- Proactive and can-do attitude, readiness to help other team members as necessary;
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty;
- Commitment to UN WOMEN’s vision, mission, and strategic goals.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's degree in International Law, Human Rights, political science, related social sciences (International Development studies, Gender and Development Studies, Peace and Conflict studies), or any other related field of studies.
- Work experience with development agencies in programme support on women, peace and security and human rights;
- Proven capacity and experience in reporting;
- Expertise and experiences working in women, peace and security, gender responsive peace building in the post conflict setting would be an added advantage;
- Sound knowledge of international standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment and related instruments;
- Prior experience of working with development agencies and the UN system preferably will be an asset.
- Excellent commend of written and oral English;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
HOW TO APPLY?
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Expression of interest explaining why you are interested to this position and what professional skills and experiences you have to support your interest is strong;
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded: http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment;
- A separate page of financial proposal to complete all the deliverables mentioned above.
Note: The system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
- Education: Master's degree in International Law, Human Rights, political science, related social sciences (International Development studies, Gender and Development Studies, Peace and Conflict studies), or any other related field of studies. (10 points);
- Experience: A minimum of 6 months of work experience with programme support on women, peace and security and human rights. (30 points);
- Experience: Sound knowledge of international standards on gender equality and women’s empowerment and related instruments and familiarity with women, peace and security agenda, gender responsive peacebuilding issues. (20 points);
- Experience: Expertise and experience on project writing, management and reporting. (10 points).
The candidates scoring minimum 70% (49 points) will be considered for further evaluation.