Programme Associate, GS6 Honiara, Solomon Islands (#103132) **OPEN ONLY TO NATIONALS OF SOLOMON ISLANDS
Honiara (Solomon Islands)
The UNICEF Pacific Office in Solomon Islands is looking to fill in the post of Programme Associate at the GS6 level under the direct supervision of the WASH Specialist. This position is only open to Nationals of Solomon islands.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Water Sanitation and Hygiene
Five countries – FSM, Fiji, Kiribati, Solomon Islands and Vanuatu – have been identified as in need of prioritised and comprehensive support from UNICEF in WASH, and all 14 countries will benefit from support for emergency preparedness and response and regional knowledge exchange. The programme will focus on five main areas of work:
- Strengthening data, policies, planning capacities and budget allocation for WASH;
- Enhancing the ability of individuals to change or adopt hygiene behaviours (e.g. handwashing at critical times, using toilets to defecate)
- Strengthening the capacities of communities (schools and healthcare providers) to ensure operation and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities and to assume ownership of the process of change.
- Improving standards and advocating for increased budgets to support quality infrastructure and proper maintenance, as well as monitoring.
- Strengthening capacities of governments to plan for, adapt to and recover from the effects of hazards and disasters, as well as longer term climate changes that are impacting on water availability and WASH services.
How can you make a difference?
Under the supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the programme assistant supports the respective section through providing a range of procedural, administrative, and operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their country programme, ensuring effective and timely delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations. A
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization with a minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required *A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 4 additional years of professional experience may also be considered.
- Fluency in English is required and in the local language of the duty station
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The technical competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Honiara (Solomon Islands)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-27