Trainer for leadership and project management training for youth, women, traditional leaders and Civil Society organizations
Yambio (South Sudan)
The Republic of South Sudan is major humanitarian, development, economic and security challenges unprecedented proportions and protracted conflicts The local communities, women, youth and traditional leaders in Yambio, Western Equatoria is requires basic skills and knowledge to participate in local development activities through participation in planning, budgeting and managing local development. Planning process is often top-down by technocrats from state and counties, which disproportionately disfranchising the women, youth and traditional leaders, other community groups from ownership of the programme, thus making sustainability of the programmes a challenge. To address this, gaps in local government capacity development, this project will focus on enhancing capacity of the communities especially youth, women and traditional leaders to participate in managing local development initiatives through basic training in leadership skills, participatory planning, gender-responsive budgeting, monitoring and evaluation for 90 community members [traditional leaders, leaders of youth and women organizations, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) and Community-Based Organizations (CBOs)] for two weeks in Yambio.
The Resource Person/Consultant will work under the guidance of Project Manager of LGCDSD Project of Democratic Governance and Stabilization Unit of UNDP. He/she will further be supported by UNDP staff based in Yambio.
The overall objective of the training is to equip youth, women and traditional leaders in Yambio with leadership and project management skills to effectively participate in the local development, ownership and sustainability of the project.
The training further intends to enhance community capacities for increased citizens’ participation in local governance issues and processesFunctions / Key Results Expected
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the UNDP/ LGCDSD project and UNDP Democratic Governance and Stabilization Unit, the resource persons will perform the following duties:Prepare and carryout leadership and management training to ensure community representatives are equipped with leadership and project management skillsPrepare and finalize course curriculum for the leadership and management training in hard and soft versions of course materialConduct leadership and project management training course to leadership and management trainingConduct assessments for leadership and project management training course to certify the community representatives as well equipped to participate in local governance issues and processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Assignment
The scope of the assignment include preparation of curriculum and delivery of two (2) in-depth trainings as follows:
- One (1) 45 youth and traditional leaders;
- Two (2) 45 women leaders, over an approved period in leadership and project management (leadership skills, participatory planning, gender-responsive budgeting, monitoring and evaluation) to be conducted in Yambio;
- Submission of detailed narrative report on each of the two (2) trainings to the Project Manager;
Deliverables and Timelines
- The consultancy will be for a total of 25 working days and is scheduled as follows:
- In collaboration with UNDP LGCDSD project staff;
- Prepare and carryout the the leadership and project management course from 26 to 28 February 2018 – (3 working days) to ensure enhanced capacity of communities for increased participation in local governance processes;
- Prepare and finalize course curriculum for leadership and project management training in hard and soft copies of course material (1-9 March 2018) - 7 working days);
- Conduct leadership and project management training for: (i) 45 youth and traditional authorities (12- 16 March 2018- 5 working days) and (ii) 45 women leaders (19-23 March 2018) – 5 working days
- Conduct assessments during and at the end of each of the leadership and management training courses in consultation with UNDP LGCDSD project staff
- Prepare and submit detailed narrative report on each of the 2 trainings (26-30 March 2018 – 5 working days).
- Demonstrate integrity by modeling UN values and ethical standards;
- Respect the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the UNDP;
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treat all people fairly and without favoritism;
- Substantive previous experience in providing leadership and project management training to semi-literate adults;
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills;
- Results oriented, flexible and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated team-building capacity;
- Deal diplomatically with challenging bureaucratic processes and pressure to meet strict deadlines;
- Build strong relationships focusing on impact and results and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrated openness to changes and ability to manage complexities; remain calm, in control and good humored, even under pressure;
Required Skills and Experience
- Certified degree in Public Administration or equivalent issued by a certified institution;
- Minimum two years of relevant experience in facilitating leadership and project management training programmes;
- Experience or knowledge in designing and facilitating trainings in the required areas;
- Experience or knowledge in developing course material and conducting assessment;
- Experience and skills of training adults;
- Previous experience working with youth, women, traditional authorities and CSOs/ CBOs desirable;
- Experience with UNDP or other UN Agencies or international non-governmental organizations in similar positions will be an advantage;
- Ability to communicate clearly in written and spoken English and Arabic;
- Knowledge of any local language of South Sudan will be an advantage;
Selection Criteria Weight Maximum point
Qualifications of the candidate in the required area or course applied for:
Certified degree/ diploma in Public Administration and adult education or equivalent issued by a certified institution recognized by the Ministry of Education, Government of Republic of South Sudan 20% 20;
Experience of the candidate:Experience in designing training, developing course material and conducting assessmentsExperience in conducting similar trainings 50% 50;
Financial proposal:Realistic budget and in line with UNDP consultancy rates;Indicating all the various budget break down including professional fees, and daily subsistence allowance. 30% 30;Total 100% 100.
Please send both your technical and financial offer with a P11.