ICT Associate -Garowe
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Operations Manager and technical supervision of the ICT Manager, the ICT Support Associate provides leadership in execution of ICT services in the Area Office, implements ICT management systems and strategies, provides daily technical support to users of information management tools and technology infrastructure. The incumbent in collaboration with the ICT Analyst is responsible for review and advice on the use of new technologies that will enhance the Area Office productivity. The ICT Support Associate promotes a client-oriented approach.
The ICT Support Associate supervises ICT support staff and works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and project teams in the Area Office and ICT Manager for resolving complex ICT-related issues.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of ICT strategies and introduction/implementation of new technologies
- Effective functioning of the Area Office hardware and software packages
- Networks administration
- Provision of administrative support
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Duties and Responsibilities
- Compliance with corporate information management and technology standards, guidelines and procedures for the CO technology environment.
- Provision of inputs to elaboration of internal policies and procedures on the use of ICT. Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in ICT in consultation with office management.
- Contribute to development and update of the ICT annual workplan related to Area office.
- Provision of support to the use of ATLAS (UNDP’s implementation of PeopleSoft ERP) functionality for improved business results and improved client services.
- Provision of advice on maintenance of equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies, making routine repairs and change of hardware electronic components.
- Supervision of the implementation of corporate UNDP systems.
- Development of new software packages for high impact results (e.g. office management system, electronic registry, etc) as required
- Operation of network utility procedures defining network users and security attributes, configuring network printers and providing user access. Ensure that the UNDP desktop and network resources are protected from malicious virus attacks and deploy countermeasures in the event of the attacks.
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems.
- Response to user needs and questions regarding network access.
- Maintenance of up-to-date parameters of information for the network clients and electronic mail.
- Implementation of backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs.
- Maintenance of measures in place for business continuity and disaster recover processes and procedures including backup and restoration of both server and local storage facilities.
- Timely LAN Infrastructure and Internet connectivity upgrade to meet UNDP requirements.
- Provision of advice on and assistance in procurement of new equipment for the Area Office and projects, provision of technical specifications and information on best options in both local and international markets, review of quotations and bids.
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of the software and hardware in use in the Area Office.
- Maintenance of the library of reference materials.
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in cooperation with the Procurement Unit.
- Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge management and sharing, information provision.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on ICT issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in ICT.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
- Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
- Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education. University Degree in Computer Science desirable, but it is not a requirement. Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) required. If certification is not available at the time of recruitment, it should be obtained within 6 months.
- 7 years (4 years if with a Bachelor’s degree) of working experience in network administration and use of hardware/software, telecommunications facilities, and knowledge of database packages. Web design experience will be an advantage.
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Somali is a requirement