International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENTS
Ref.: 2018/007/NRS/MAL/SSA Finance Specialist
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a Finance Specialist to contribute to the EU-funded KULIMA project.
The Project: EU-funded KULIMA project is implemented in 10 districts in Northern, Central and Southern Malawi. Under this project CIP will coordinate the activities of a consortium of CGIAR Centers to provide a wide range of science-based agricultural production technologies, training, and access to inputs and advice. CIP will establish a Project Management Unit (PMU) consisting of a Project Manager, M&E Specialist and Accountant to coordinate the interventions of the CGIAR Centers. The project provides an excellent opportunity for demonstrating and further improving the value and uptake of CGIAR and DARS developed technologies in the context of a forward-looking innovation systems approach. As part of a GIZ-managed component of the wider KULIMA Action, the CGIAR will build capacity of Master Trainers (supported by FAO and government) who will pass on the knowledge to Community Based Facilitators, that will eventually support 400,000 households in Farmer Field Schools (FFS, supported by government extension and NGOs).
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by the 15 research centers who are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. The CIP Sub- Saharan Africa (SSA) main regional office is in Nairobi, Kenya. CIP also has an existing office in 8 other SSA countries.
The position: The selected candidate will be based in Lilongwe and will report to the Country Finance Specialist. The Finance Specialist will support the Finance Unit in implementing CIP’s organizational mission through efficient and effective accountingand financial management. This position will primarily provide technical assistance, and support in general accounting and quality assurance for projects cost allocation to
different donors and maintain detailed and accurate records for all financial
transactions. It requires broad understanding of program implementation and cross-
cultural people skills.
The key responsibilities:
• Coordinate, and provide technical assistance, and support in general accounting
and quality assurance for projects cost allocation to different donors and maintain
detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions
• Receive and review financial request, field financial reports and liquidations for
consistency, completeness and accuracy of documentation and proper posting to
CIP accounting systems
• Ensure financial transactions are carried out in accordance with the Center’s
financial and administrative policies and procedures and Maintain detailed and
accurate records for all financial transactions
• Prepare payments and ensure safety of financial resources while ensuring
compliance with CIP and donor policies
• Ensure appropriate supporting documents for transactions including receipts,
invoices, contracts are attached
• Record financial transactions following proper classification of accounts and
charge codes in the documents, ready for posting.
• Reconciling and management of VAT accounts to ensure invoices with VAT are
ready for processing the Exemption certificate.
• Ensure all bills are posted according to the period of the service provided (Utility
Bills, Rentals, IT, Facilities) monthly.
• Reviewing the finance documentations to ensure that proper coding has been
done and that all transactions are properly supported.
• Monthly administration of all travel and research advances to employees and
• Ensure all tax and pension emoluments returns are compiled and submitted to
Malawi Revenue Authority and Pension administrators respectively
• Management of overdue suppliers’ accounts to ensure all outstanding bills are
reconciled and paid in time.
• Ensure all payments are filed sequentially and stamped PAID in readiness for
• Ensure and support in the maintenance of a good filing system.
• Assist with preparation of annual audits.
• Control of fixed assets and Perform monthly bank reconciliations.
• Any other duties assigned by the SupervisorSelection Criteria:
• Bachelor’s degree (with thesis completed) in Accounting, Finance or related field.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in the accounting / finance /
• Proficient in MS Office, especially in Excel.
• Aptitude for understanding complex regulations and monitoring financial
transactions and documentation for compliance.
• Strong knowledge of GIZ and of EU guidelines.
• Familiarity with FAR and ADS rules and regulations and OMB Circulars.
• Accounting software packages (ERP Preferable).
• Knowledge of the international development funding (Desirable).
• Advanced written and oral communication skills in English.
Conditions: This position is local and is open to Malawian Citizens ONLY. The
employment contract will be for an initial 1-year term with three months’ probation
period and with the possibility of renewal subject to availability of funds and satisfactory
performance. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment,
which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ ), including a cover letter, a C.V. (maximum 4
pages) with the names and contact information of three references that are
knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Screening of applications will begin on 20 March 2018. Only short-listed candidates
will be contacted.
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application,
interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with
information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Lilongwe (Malawi)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Banking and Finance
- Closing Date: 2018-03-20