Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) Resident Advisor
Service Title: Field Epidemiology Training Program (FETP) Resident Advisor
Place of Performance: Maputo, Mozambique
Embassy Access and Security Level: Level 5 Public Trust
To serve as a Resident Advisor (RA) for the purpose of assisting CDC-Mozambique with strengthening host country capabilities to address public health surveillance and epidemiology-related priorities related to HIV and TB.
Description of Tasks:
- Supports CDC Mozambique by building epidemiology and surveillance capacity by focusing on HIV and TB diseases for the Ministry of Health (MoH) and the National Institute of Health (INS)
- Serve as the lead technical advisor for CDC-Mozambique to develop cadres of field epidemiologists who can practice evidence-based public health, outbreak detection and response, and strengthened national disease surveillance. As such, mentors national FETP program manager and other mid-level surveillance and epidemiologist staff at MoH and INS.
- Assist CDC-Mozambique in the design and implementation of applied epidemiological projects aimed at developing more effective public health interventions related to HIV and TB.
- Provide guidance and support to CDC-Mozambique in the implementation of basic and intermediate level programs focused on building surveillance, epidemiological, and outbreak response capacity with a view of overall systems strengthening.
- Provide course instruction, individual mentorship to program participants, mentors, and supervisors, and expert advice on epidemiology, surveillance, and outbreak response as needed.
- Strengthen public health workforce capacity to effectively use science-based information for decision making by designing training programs that build competencies that lead to effective public health interventions using data and science.
- Provide oversight of trainees’ field activities, including outbreak investigations, surveillance system evaluations, etc.
- Review all projects and work conducted by FETP trainees for scientific quality and appropriateness and ensure that all projects receive appropriate ethical approvals and CDC clearances.
- Assist FETP trainees in preparing written and oral scientific presentations/publications.
- Assist CDC Mozambique with the selection of FETP trainees. This includes working with MoH to implement guidelines for selection and placement of FETP trainees and identification of appropriate assignments and supervision.
- Assist with the training of FETP graduates to become mentors/supervisors for future FETP trainees.
- Conduct or assist with routine review of the program and of the work conducted by FETP trainees.
- Provide written communication, program data, budget data, and fact sheets or success stories about the FETP routinely and as-requested within deadlines requested.
- Participate in the CDC Mozambique team meetings or working groups, and other working groups or committees as needed and provide information, advice, and guidance as related to the FETP program.
- Proactively identifies to senior CDC-Mozambique any problems or issues beyond the ability of the incumbent to resolve, along with suggestions for resolution.
- In-country travel as necessary.
Minimum Qualifications and/or Certifications:
Education: Master’s degree in public health or related field.
Experience: Minimum of 5-years’ experience in Strategic Information (M&E, surveillance, etc). Experience in field-based epidemiology and outbreak response recommended.
Language: Fluency in writing, speaking, and reading of English and Portuguese (Level III) is required.
Application: Please send your CV with the application to email@example.com
- Organization: DB Consulting Group, Inc
- Location: Maputo
- Grade: Mid level - Internationally recruited position
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2018-04-15