Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) and Gender Specialist
Joint Supreme court of the Republic of Uzbekistan, UNDP and USAID ‘Rule of law partnership in Uzbekistan’ (ROL) project has been implementing since 2014. The overarching goal of this joint project is to strengthen public access to and trust in Uzbekistan’s judicial system, with focus on all four types of courts (civil, economical, criminal, and administrative) and the whole justice chain. The project will work towards this goal through a primary partnership with the Supreme Court and, as appropriate, other justice sector stakeholders, building on these institutions’ political will to strengthen public trust and achieve greater alignment with internationally recognized standards of accountability and performance. Based on national priorities declared in Strategy of Action for 2017-2021 and the best international experience, ROL project will provide assistance to Supreme court of the Republic of Uzbekistan as well as other partners in elaboration of strategic and legal framework to improve accessibility of court information and transparency of judiciary, in strengthening research and analytical capacity of Supreme Court in order to implement judicial and legal reforms, wide involvement of representative of civil and expert society as well as donor organizations in open discussion of reforms and provision of assistance in strengthening rule of law in Uzbekistan. For this purpose project aims to implement following tasks:
1) Increase systemic, institutional and procedural judicial independence in civil, economic and administrative courts through providing strategy policy advice to key decisions makers;
2) Enhance criminal justice and civil justice systems in line with international standards and the best practices related to fair trial and due process’
3) Increase integrity, efficiency and competency of judiciary through upgrading continuous education system for judges and wider application of e-justice tools. Improve court Administration Systems and Performance.
The ROL project will identify concrete challenges and implement corresponding activities that can measurably strengthen judicial independence, enhance transparency and accessibility of courts and improve efficiency of court administration. Through agreed upon interventions, this project will help strengthen judicial independence and accountability, a critical step towards improving the rule of law in Uzbekistan and ensuring the nations’ further progress towards a democratic society. The project will work on improving services, making citizens feel invested in the court system and increasing citizen access to the courts (civil and economic). This will be achieved through improving judicial system performance, enhancing the knowledge and technical skills of judges, lawyers and court personnel and increasing responsiveness to citizen feedback regarding the judicial process.
While the project envisions the Supreme Court of the Republic of Uzbekistan as its primary point of contact, it will also closely collaborate with Supreme Judicial Council of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Research Center for the Study of Justice under Supreme Judicial Council of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Bureau for enforcement under the General Prosecution Office of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Development Strategy Center, Lawyers’ training Center under the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Uzbekistan, Tashkent State Law University, Institute for monitoring Current legislation under the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan and other justice sector reform champions which possess the political will to implement reforms. Through working with a number of partners, the project can ensure that maximum impact is achieved, as well as a strategic, coordinated and holistic approach to increasing public access to and trust in Uzbekistan’s judicial system. The approach will not only include GOU partners, but will also cooperate with international organizations and donors, to provide for a coordinated response to national development needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under direct supervision of the Project manager and overall guidance of the UNDP Cluster on Good Governance, Policy and Communications, the M&E and Gender specialist will be responsible for the satisfactory achievement of the entrusted tasks, as described below:
- Facilitate and substantively contribute to the incorporation of monitoring and reporting into project implementation and ensuring RBM standards are integrated in project activities;
- Facilitate and substantively contribute to the development of monitoring indicators, monitoring calendars, and field monitoring plans and quality assurance processes of the project activities in criminal, civil, economic and administrative courts;
- Include inputs from relevant monitoring findings, conclusions and recommendations into project reporting and planning of activities;
- Provide expert support in ensuring the compliance of analytical products of the project with UN Uzbekistan Common Standards for Quality Assurance of Data as well as quality inputs with verified data for communication materials in line with the annual workplan, UNDP Strategic Note, CPD, RLP project document and the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF);
- Contribute to annual work plan monitoring, reviews and reporting of RLP project;
- Provide technical support to donor reporting and national partners in developing Performance Monitoring Frameworks (PMFs), systems and plans, and Baseline Surveys;
- Contribute substantively to the monitoring and tracking of project results against country / regional level targets and UNDP Strategic Plan (IRRF);
- Coordinate with project team to ensure that data collection and analysis from field court visits are coordinated, standardized and comply with UN Uzbekistan Common Standards for Quality Assurance of Data;
- Monitor data from court statistics, user satisfaction surveys, e-case management system (E-sud etc) on a quarterly basis and provide substantive inputs to regular project and Cluster management briefs to inform decision-making and to strengthen gender disaggregated evidence-base of project reports;
- Monitor the spending of donor funds and other programme expenditures and disbursements against planned activities and targets;
- Draft and monitor the RLP project’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research Plan.
- Facilitate the reporting of results to internal (UNDP senior management) and external (Project Board, donors) audiences;
- Review donor and project reports (both narrative and financial) to provide quality assurance;
- Identify relevant evaluation findings, conclusions and recommendations and input them into project planning, implementation and reporting;
- Review progress and analytical reports submitted by experts and provide feedback to improve quality and timeliness of reporting;
- Collect and maintain gender disaggregated data for country, regional and global corporate reports related to justice sector reform;
- Provide guidance to project staff on monitoring and evaluations;
- Contribute to knowledge building and capacity building on RBM and M&E for RLP project team members;
- Identify and disseminate good practices, lessons and knowledge, as identified through RLP project implementation, monitoring and evaluation activities;
- Contribute to the development of capacity development tools, including training materials and packages for national partners related to RBM and M&E in justice sector in close consultation with CO M&E focal point;
- Promote the awareness and understanding of the shared responsibility of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) among all project staff members through communication, training, learning and development activities.
In the area of gender equality:
- Develop a gender mainstreaming strategy and guidelines for the project implementation plan for the duration of the project in line with UNDP and donor requirements.
- Develop a monitoring tool for gender mainstreaming in all project activities, including indicators for assessing progress with gender mainstreaming, adapted to the project outcome, outputs and activities.
- Undertake capacity building activities on gender analysis and mainstreaming tools, including trainings of the project team, and other stakeholders in the justice sector on the use of guidelines to mainstreaming gender in the project activities. This would include a review of existing laws and policies, and reflections on how such policies can be strengthen in terms of gender inclusiveness in justice sector. Guidance on best practice in this regard will be anticipated.
- Develop and regularly update database of female leaders in justice sector to track the trend of gender parity and solicit support from stakeholders for female leaders’ capacity building and allocation of relevant resources.
- Analyze the constraints affecting women’s participation in the justice sector and develop a plan to address the constraints within the mandate of the project.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Capable of combining efficient implementation of UNDP values on Democratic Governance, ensuring and facilitating the coordination and collaboration of diverse stakeholder groups and good team work with national and international consultants;
- Result-oriented to meet the needs of client;
- Excellent leadership, self-management, communications and presentation skills;
- Good analytical and writing skills;
- Computer literacy and ability to use modern technology and social media as a tool in every-day work;
- Ability to share knowledge and experience;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to quick learning;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Responds positively to feedback and different viewpoints.
- Demonstrating ethics and integrity;
- Self-development, initiative and reasonable risk taking,
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work.
Required Skills and Experience
University degree in one of the following areas: Law, Legal studies, International Relations, Economics or related Social Sciences
At least 2 years experience of work on results based management and M&E is required.
At least 1 year experience in gender mainstreaming at programme or project level in such relevant areas as governance, rule of law area, etc is required.
Proficiency in English/Russian, working level of Uzbek
Excellent conceptual and analytical abilities;
Excellent technical skills in measurement and evaluation, including grasp of methodological and operational dimensions and the ability to link corporate and country level issues;
Familiarity with the UN and UNDP system would be a strong asset;
Proven ability work under pressure and with very demanding deadlines
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.