Business Intelligence Analyst
New York City (United States of America)
The UN Development Operations Coordination Office (UN DOCO) brings together the UN development system to promote change and innovation to deliver together on sustainable development with the aim for the greatest impact while drawing on the best from each part of the United Nations. The adoption of Agenda 2030 has accelerated the need for the strategic advisory and uniting role that UN DOCO undertakes within the UN Development System (UNDS), and particularly the UNDG. The need to strengthen and enhance engagement within the UNDS, and support the advancement of the integrated agenda across the three pillars of the UN charter (peace and security, development, and human rights) is more crucial than ever before.
UN DOCO works under the leadership of the UNDG Chair and Vice-Chair guidance of the UNDG. The UN DOCO team provides field evidence to inform policy, facilitates the achievement of shared results, and promotes excellence in UN leadership and coordination.
UN DOCO works in close collaboration with the development, peacebuilding, humanitarian, human rights and administrative arms of the UN and its partners, to ensure joint efforts and results through the following:
- Provide solutions, analyses, and advocacy on the UN’s common normative and operational agenda, including on integrated development policy;
- Enhance through a technical advisory role the UNDG programme and operations instruments and methodologies to enable the UN to strengthen its work together for development;
- Undertake a quality assurance role for all UNDG products and services;
- Support substantively and administratively, the UN development system coordination mechanisms at the country and regional levels, including for Delivering as One;
- Foster best practices, especially at the country and regional levels, that result in improved efficiencies and impact;
- Manage and oversee the UNDG cost sharing mechanism for the RC System at the country, regional and global levels, ensuring that the RC System is provided the core capacity it needs to deliver;
- Design and deliver capacity building in strategic areas which enhance collaboration and knowledge transfer, while also supporting knowledge networks and peer to peer engagement;
- Manage, facilitate, and provide technical advisory expertise to inter-agency networks of expertise and knowledge sharing;
- And support the UNDG Chair, UNDG Vice-Chair, Regional UNDG Chairs, UNDG Core Group, UNDG Strategic Results Groups, and UN Resident Coordinators, in the discharge of their leadership and coordination responsibilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
As part of UNDOCO’s Knowledge and Innovation Team, the Business Intelligence Analyst works closely with the Monitoring and Data Analytics Specialist and is responsible for quality assurance of the data collection and use from UNDOCO’s data platforms. The Business Intelligence Analyst ensures that the UNDG has data that is accurate, congruent and reliable and is easily accessible. Working closely UNDOCO staff to turn data into critical information and knowledge that can be used to make sound decisions, the Business Intelligence Analyst will support UNDOCO staff, UNDG member agencies and RC office staff to use operational data as an analytical tool, displaying the information in new forms for the purpose of analysis and exploring options. A key role for the Business Intelligence Analyst is to drive new data collection, analyses and data visualization and to backstop efforts to test and scale innovations in data, foresight and collective intelligence in 130 UN Country Teams globally.
Summary of functions of the Business Intelligence Analyst:
- Provides technical advice and quality assurance for the UNDG IMS and UNinfo, and data visualizations;
- Advise on and support data interoperability in DOCO managed data platforms for the UNDG;
- Manage UNDOCO’s (forthcoming) data aggregation/data visualization automation platform;
- Support and backstop data analyses for UNDG results reporting and year-round operational use \Develop and manage tools to support innovations testing and scaling.
Rollout and Quality Assurance for data platforms (UNDG IMS and UNinfo):
- Regularly test and support management of iterative development for standard reports and dashboards;
- Develop quality assurance methods for UNDG IMS and UNinfo reporting functions;
- Conduct quality control to ensure reporting functions without bugs;
- Respond to queries as part of the UNDG IMS and UNinfo helpdesks;
- Lead the support on the global rollout of the UN info platform, development of training and advocacy materials and implementation of communication strategy.
Advise and support data interoperability:
- Assist in decisions related to DOCO databases, as well as communication and orientation on functions of each;
- Advise on data standards for use within DOCO and support quality control to ensure data meets inter-operable standards;
- Where relevant, support the development of coordination mechanisms to promote better data inter-operability across the UNDG, including through task teams or other secretariat support;
- Working under the guidance of the Team Leader, support UNDG efforts to advance data privacy tools.
Manage DOCO data aggregation/automation/data visualization platform:
- Coordinate DOCO inputs to the development of a platform to aggregate and automate routine data analyses from various sources including budgetary data, premises data and others, as well as its data visualization;
- Support the monitoring of vendor performance under the leadership of the Data Monitoring and Analytics Specialist;
- Support DOCO staff orientation for aggregation and automation of data from various sources including their data visualization.
Support and backstop UNDG data analyses:
- Undertake systematic and detailed quantitative qnalysis for the annual UNDG Global Results Report;
- Undertake data clean up (spotting outliers) and produce data visualizations of UNDG IMS and UN Info data and others datasets as required;
- Support knowledge management inputs in DOCO and its website as requested, engage in DOCO wide initiatives and team projects, and other functions as required.
Develop and manage tools to support innovations testing and scaling:
- Set up and manage monitoring tools for UNCT innovations funded through the Delivering Together Facility;
- Collect and curate country tools for innovation to promote knowledge management in innovations;
- Seek out and undertake management support for partnerships related to data visualization and innovation.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done.
Data management and analysis:
- Demonstrates ability to process, manage and analyze large datasets and to apply advance data analysis techniques.
- Has good knowledge of data sets available in the field of aid and international development, as well as of developments in area of data analysis.
Technical writing skills:
- Ability to write clearly and convincingly, adapting style and content to different audiences.
Managing Complex situations:
- Proven ability to manage diverse and complex tasks, with tight deadlines.
- Ability to contribute effectively in team-based work, especially in the area of knowledge-sharing and learning.
- Speaks clearly and convincingly, demonstrating strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Able to take initiative and work independently, with minimum supervision.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree (Masters’) in Social Sciences, Computer Science or related fields, also involving quantitative methods coursework or related field work as a strong asset.
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience, experience managing development databases an asset;
- Experience within the UN a strong asset, knowledge of UN coordination an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required;
- Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable.
- Substantive knowledge of development data and issues a strong asset
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Knowledge of statistical analysis tools (e.g. STATA, SPSS, R or others) and mapping tools would be an asset.
Important applicant information
Internally advertised General Service (GS) fixed-term appointment (FTA) positions located in Headquarters are open to GS staff members currently serving in New York/Washington D.C. who hold a UNDP permanent or FTA who are either US Permanent Residents, US citizens or holders of a valid G4 visa at the time of their application and whose G4 visa has been acquired on account of their employment in the UN Systems based in New York or Washington, DC.
Current UNDP GS staff serving outside of HQ must meet the eligibility criteria stated above prior to their application.
Selected candidates who meet the above mentioned eligibility criteria are responsible for their own travel and/or relocation costs
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.