CALL for APPLICATIONS : NATIONAL EXPERTS ROSTER
Myanmar’s development context underscores the interrelationship between peace, governance, environment and sustainable development. Achieving lasting peace and the emergence of a union based on the principles of democracy and federalism will require an ongoing process of political dialogue, leading to future constitutional reform. This will require a long-term trust-building effort to resolve fundamental differences between the parties on centre-periphery relationships, especially regarding national identity, citizenship and control over natural resources. The UNDP country programme will support the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals within this framework of addressing the challenges of multiple transitions. UNDP aims to support the democratic transition in Myanmar through work on public administration reform, development effectiveness, rule of law and access to justice as well as legislative strengthening.
In this specific context and with the need to be able to respond to any type of conflict and/or disaster, the UNDP Country Office is taking measures to ensure its preparedness to support the Government of Myanmar and its citizens in times of crises. In this regard, the strategic positioning of UNDP in Myanmar is articulated in the new CPD for 2018-2022. The new CPD will fundamentally support the country’s reform agenda that guides the multiple long-term transitions the country is facing: from armed conflict to a federal union at peace (nation-building); from military/autocratic rule to a full and civilian government (state-building); and from a largely closed economy under international sanctions to an open economy and inclusive and sustainable development (economic transformation).
Duties and Responsibilities
To be considered for inclusion in the roster, applications would need to have expertise in one or more of the following areas of expertise:
Environment and Energy Efficiency
- Environmental policies, laws, and regulatory frameworks
- Environmental sustainability concepts
- Environmental finance and economics
- Energy efficiency
- Environmental and social safeguards
- Climate change
- Mainstreaming environment into development planning
- Environmental Planning and Safeguards
- Environmental on-site mentoring
- Environmental risks
Disaster Risk Reduction
- Concepts of disaster hazards and disaster risk reduction
- Identification and appraisal of local disaster hazards and risks
- Legal frameworks and institutional arrangements related to disaster risk reduction
- Environmental sustainability and disaster resilience concepts of development planning
Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding
- In-depth conflict/context and risk analysis in the targeted EAO townships
- Integration of conflict-sensitivity principles into project systems and procedures
- Advisory services on enhancing engagement between government administration and EAO administrations
- In-depth analysis/studies/research following the development under the National Ceasefire Agreement interim arrangement
- In-depth analysis/studies/research of service delivery provision and governance structures in the EAO controlled areas
Parliamentary Development Expertise
- Parliamentary core functions of lawmaking, oversight and representation
- Parliament’s role in budgeting and budget oversight
- Parliamentary plenary and committee functions and processes
- Parliamentary institutional frameworks
- Parliamentary Secretariat and services
- Parliament-Government relations
- Parliamentary public relations and external relations
- Gender mainstreaming and women’s political participation and leadership in parliamentary work
Scope of Work
Tasks assigned in each individual assignment may include one or more of the following :
Policy and Strategy Development
- Prepare Policy briefs, Status papers on developmental challenges/issues based on secondary review of existing literature for evidence based advocacy and policy dialogue
- Develop guidelines and national and sub-national strategy in the areas of institutional strengthening
- Develop performance management systems
- Perform socio-economic analysis
- Technical assistance to governments and non-state actors at all level
- Develop institutional and regulatory frameworks to facilitate climate change and adaptation and disaster risk reduction
- Review of policy literature in respect to the subject
- Formulation of strategic national and sub-national development policy.
- Identification of barriers and solutions for proposed interventions.
- Risk identification, mitigation.
Project Design, Formulation & other project related functions
- Prepare conceptual framework/concept note on new area of work/developmental challenge
- Provide technical assistance in identification of developmental challenges, target areas, beneficiaries and partners and formulation of implementation strategy for UNDP support
- Provide technical support in development on new interventions/projects with Implementation (operational plan, monitoring and resource requirement) Institutional and management arrangements
- Identify issues, formulate and implement interventions that focus on various activities.
- Conduct studies on project/program highlights, activities and processes involved.
- Prepare and review Project documents.
- Identify areas/beneficiaries and partners; timing, sequencing of activities; mobilization of finance.
- Prepare project proposals to ensure innovation in concepts, strategies and incorporation of best practices
- Partnership building and resource mobilization
Research and Documentation
- Undertake secondary research in the new areas of developmental concern based on review of existing literature
- Develop research design, research questions and scope of work for undertaking primary research in new areas
- Develop research and survey methodologies
- Document good practices, case studies, innovations and pilot models for wider dissemination and sharing
- Undertake process documentation of models for upscaling
- Based on capacity assessment, develop Capacity Development Plan to achieve the milestones identified and address the identified capacity gaps.
- Develop target specific training tools/tool-kits and manuals based on training needs assessment
- Design training curriculum, conduct and/or coordinate trainings programmes for various stakeholders
- Carry out capacity assessments of public institutions and government institutions for development of strategic interventions for institutional strengthening
- Design and delivery of training tool-kits, products etc.
- Conduct and/or Coordinate trainings and workshops.
- Prepare knowledge and communications products related to the projects/programs (Audio, Video and Hard copies)
- Review of Knowledge products (subject, design and content)
- Prepare and publish featured articles and case studies in publications of the UNDP, other pertinent organizations, academic journals ;
- Disseminate knowledge and communications products.
- Develop literature on best practices and case studies.
- Guidance of different media intervention (Radio, TV, etc.)
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness of national and sub-national policies.
- Carry out required independent monitoring and evaluation of UNDP projects.
- Facilitate community and process monitoring.
- Undertake Baseline and Client satisfaction surveys.
- Good track record in project management, with UNDP experience being an asset.
- Understanding of Government functioning and systems.
- Updated familiarity on, various international projects on across one or more areas of expertise.
- Familiarity with UNDP ERP would be advantageous
- Working knowledge of objectives-oriented project planning, or results-based management.
- Leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical, reporting and writing abilities skills.
- Openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement and report on work.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Proficiency in the use of office IT applications and internet.
- Outstanding communication, project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards.
- Positive, constructive attitude to work.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Business Administration, Management, Economics, Finance and Banking, International development, Sociology, Communications, Agriculture, Law, Environmental sciences, Natural resource economics, or related fields.
Band 1, Implementation Support: Masters Degree in relevant field with minimum 3 years of relevant work experience, or Bachelors Degree in relevant field with minimum 5 years of relevant work experience.
Band 2, Specialist Support: Masters Degree in relevant field with minimum 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in research, analysis, policy support, programme and project development, project management, knowledge management, and/or monitoring, reporting and evaluation.
- Proven experience working with a wide variety of development actors including governments, international development organizations (including United Nations agencies), donors and other funding agencies, private sector entities, and/or civil society organizations including community groups, academia and the media;
- Previous work experience with international agencies in Myanmar is an asset.
Excellent oral and written native language skills and good command of English is required.
Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file. Your on-line applications submission will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided. If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter,
- Updated CV + contact details of 3 referees and;
- Proposed daily fee.
A brief cover letter, clearly identifying the “Areas of Expertise” as mentioned in the section above.
In the case of unforeseeable travel, payment of travel costs including economy tickets, lodging and terminal expenses will be reimbursed as per actual expenses in line with UNDP rules.
Successful candidates will be included in UNDP Myanmar Experts Roster for a period of 3 years. Inclusion in the expert roster does not guarantee a contract with UNDP.
Evaluation of Applications
Applicants will be screened against qualifications and the competencies specified above.
The inclusion into the Vetted Roster of Experts will be offered to those individual consultants whose offers have been evaluated and determined as:
a) Responsive/compliant/acceptable, and
b) Meeting requirements across the functional bands in each selected area of expertise.
Applicants may be requested to participate in a brief interview.
When a request for services arises, the roster manager shall Contact the individuals in the specific area of expertise with ToR, location and dates of the assignment seeking confirmation of availability, as well as possible other costs.
The individual selected for the deployment will be contracted as per the UNDP IC modality. The Contract template and conditions are available at http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/procurement.html
Payment(s) shall be made following certification by UNDP that the services related to each deliverable, as specified in the contract, have been satisfactorily performed and the deliverables have been achieved by or before the due dates specified, if any.
This call for experts is not linked to other UNDP rosters or to a specific UNDP recruitment opportunity.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are only able to inform the successful candidates about the outcome or status of the selection process.
For any clarification regarding this assignment please write to firstname.lastname@example.org
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.