International Consultant - Humanitarian Programme Specialist -Gender Based Violence
UNFPA established a regional response hub in Amman, Jordan, to coordinate and provide technical and operational support to its offices in the Syrian Arab Republic and the neighbouring countries of Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt and Turkey. The UNFPA Regional Syria Response Hub provides technical and operational support to country offices and coordinates with other sister UN agencies regional emergency offices. In light of the Whole of Syria (WOS) approach that the humanitarian community has embraced (that includes Syria and the cross border operations from Turkey and Jordan), the UNFPA Regional Syria Response Hub has also become the coordination and information management point for the WOS for UNFPA and for its mandate areas in Gender Based Violence (GBV) Prevention and Response (GBV AoR) and Reproductive Health (RH).
Purpose of consultancy
Under the leadership of the Head of the Regional Syria Response hub, the Gender Based Violence consultant will be responsible for facilitation of the WOS GBV coordination architecture. The incumbent will also be responsible for the operationalization of WoS and regional GBV projects such as the adolescent girl strategy, and the GBV mainstreaming strategy. S/He will also be responsible for providing GBV technical support to the Whole of Syria response as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the head of the Regional Syria Response Hub , the data specialist will undertake the following tasks:
.Support the implementation of the Senior Strategic Group (SSG) GBV mainstreaming strategy including
.Supporting consultation with each cluster/sector on the action points and funding needs
.Support the development of key materials (for sectors and clusters) outlining key actions and financial needs
.Facilitate coordination amongst the GBV coordinators of Syria and cross border Turkey and Jordan. Facilitate coordination with North East Syria GBV Actors.
Technical Support on GBV and RH
.Lead the implementation of the adolescent girl strategy for Syria
.Update and finalise the Women and Girls Safe Spaces (WGSS) training materials to include focus on adolescent girl. Follow-up on finalisation and design of the Arabic version.
.Provide technical inputs to the development of relevant programmatic, coordination, advocacy and policy documents to address GBV in the context of the HRP and 3RP.
.Support the Whole of Syria HRP processes for GBV and Reproductive Health
- Support hub resource mobilisation efforts including proposal development and reporting for WoS and 3RP.
- Contribute to the Whole of Syria HRP Periodic Monitoring Report
- Support inputs for GBV and RH inputs for the Humanitarian Needs Overview (HNO)
- Support GBV and RH inputs for the Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP)
Administrative and Miscellaneous Duties
- Contribute and compile regular donor reports and proposals
- Other duties as required.
· Adolescent girl strategy implemented
· WGSS manual available and streamlined with adolescent girl strategy
· SSG strategy implemented
· ECHO donor proposal formulated and reporting as required
· HRP and HNO for the Wos and 3RP GBV and RH components updated.
Other duties performed as requested
Minimum Qualification and experience:
- Advanced university degree in development, social sciences or related fields
- 5 - 7 years professional and substantive experience in programme development and/or implementation in development or humanitarian settings
- Related international experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Working knowledge of Arabic an advantage
- Proficiency in current office software applications and corporate IT systems
- Proficiency in usage of mapping software (e.g. ARC GIS) an asset
- Proficiency in usage of qualitative data software (e.g. NVivo, MAXQDA) an asset
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation
- Experience in humanitarian response and information management
- Knowledge of Gender based violence and reproductive health programming
- Experience in donor reporting systems (i.e. ECHO, DFID, OFDA)
- Experience in UN Financial reporting system (i.e. Atlas) is an advantage
- Superior writing skills is essential in English
· Achieving Results
· Being accountable
· Developing & Applying Professional Expertise
· Thinking Analytically & Strategically
· Working in Teams/Managing our-selves and relationships
· Communicating for Impact
· Providing a technical support system
· Delivering result-based programs
· Providing conceptual innovation to enhance/strengthen programme effectiveness
- Generating, managing and promoting the use of knowledge and information