The UNDP China Communications Team is the principal source of information and public voice of the United Nations Development Programme in China. The team promotes public awareness and greater understanding of UNDP’s work, using various communication tools including press, electronic, and social media. Fully engaging with national and overseas media and a strong roster of public and private partners, the team leads the design, management, and implementation of UNDP’s overall communications strategy, including producing and supporting: high-impact, multimedia campaigns; programme-oriented communications products; media relations and key events; localization of global content for Chinese audiences; and publications on critical development issues, all toward helping UNDP tell its story.
Duties and Responsibilities
The graphic designer is responsible for providing support to UNDP’s Communication, Innovation and Partnership Team in its mandate to advance the Country Office’s objectives in communications, advocacy and innovation. Specifically, he/she will develop, and produce creative and innovative graphic design for outreach materials.
Scope of Work:
- Layout and design information and communication materials (banners, posters, booklets, leaflets, books, calendars, bulletins, flyers, cards)
- Provide graphic design and video production support to rollout nationwide UN/UNDP public awareness campaign to reach out to millions of people;
- Create an impactful and memorable visual experience for UN/UNDP campaigns, develop design concepts and solutions based on creative briefs and campaign strategies;
- Liaise with external creative teams/agencies to coordinate multimedia materials (photos, videos, audio etc.) production, contribute creative ideas and implement quality control;
- Assist in implementing social media strategy and campaign, including visual content development, dialogue monitoring as well as feedback collection;
- Assist in rolling out media events such as press conferences/media briefings, interviews, campaigns, etc.;
- Co-ordinate production of major UNDP publications including annual report, project report/publication, newsletter and other outreach materials;
- Implement daily administrative and logistical tasks related to communications work;
- Join any ad hoc task forces that require his/her support as requested by the Chief Communications Officer.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
The graphic designer will be expected to contribute to the development of the communication team outreach materials. Specifically, the candidate will;
- Increased awareness of UNDP China through visual materials and design;
- Increased engagement in advocacy and awareness-raising events/campaigns;
- Effective implementation of the communications and publication strategies;
- Strengthened partnerships with domestic and international media;
· Under the overall guidance of the Assistant Country Director/Team Leader of Communication and Innovation Team, the graphic designer is under direct supervision of the Communication and Innovation Officer under the Communication and Innovation Team.
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values;
- Demonstrates sound judgment, diplomacy and sensitivity to confidential matters;
- Good coordination and organisational skills, teamwork;
- Communications, journalism, copy-writing and editing experience is an asset;
- Previous assignment in a similar position would be desirable.
- Individuals should also provide the copy of catalogue or samples of the design work, if available.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in graphic design, video production, communications, journalism, advertising or a related field;
- Strong theoretical and practical background in graphic design, including the use of design software such as Adobe Design Premium, In-Design, CorelDraw, web design tools such as Dreamweaver, Flash, CQ5, etc.
- Good command of English and Chinese is preferred;