CFA 2018/10 (P) - DTM Officer (Database) (UG) - Juba, South Sudan
Juba (South Sudan)
Call for Applications
Position Title :DTM Officer (Database)
Duty Station :Juba, South Sudan Classification Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 April 2018
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Operations in South Sudan, the direct supervision of the DTM Programme Coordinator and in close coordination with the Information Management Unit and IM/GIS Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for the development, implementation and management of databases and information systems for the IOM South Sudan Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) programme.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Develop ad-hoc database systems for operations or project implementation purposes as necessary, such as surveys and field data collection; Assist in data and information processing and analysis. Provide recommendation for further technology integration possibilities upon the implementation of the developed system.
2. Make an inventory and carry out an assessment of the design and operational features of the currently used systems for collecting, processing, analyzing and disseminating data 3. Conduct technical and information-sharing meetings regarding the design and use of the developed database systems
4. In close consultation with the concerned stakeholders develop and/or further improve the design of the required database systems and its interface functions. As required, include standard security features, queries and reporting functions in the database system. Page 1 / 45. Ensure the implementation of IOM ITC Standards, policies and guidelines, in particular with regards to the databases and information systems being developed or implemented. 6. Once the database has been developed, conduct tests to check the effectiveness, integrity, relevance, internal - and external consistency, and validity of the database system and its data, and ensure compatibility with the GIS system that will be developed in parallel 7. Assist in documenting, developing and delivering user manuals and training programmes for the developed and tested databases and systems.
8. Analyze the main data flow processes that are relevant to the effective collection, storage, processing, analysis and reporting of the data.
9. Ensure the required performance of the developed databases and systems to prevent and minimize downtime or service interruptions, plan for systems (Software/Hardware) upgrades when necessary, and ensure daily monitoring and adequate completion of databases and systems backups.
10. As required, to provide remote or onsite technical support for all IOM locations in South Sudan as necessary in relation to the implementation of the developed databases and systems. 11. Assist the stakeholders' database operators as and when required regarding troubleshooting.
12. Follow-up with stakeholders to facilitate data exchange.
13. Assist in improving data collection procedures and formats and their standardization 14. Participate in training, seminar, workshop, and technical meeting to develop the capacity of the staff members and the stakeholders concerned, when necessary and more specifically provide training (including training of trainers) to the intended users of the database systems regarding the design and the application of the database systems.
15. Identify gaps on data and information relevant to the emergency response operation and contribute to the preparation of project proposals aiming to address such needs. 16. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Computer Science/Software Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
Page 2 / 4• Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Access, Excel, Word, etc) including VB for Application (VBA) is an advantage.
• In-depth knowledge of the latest technological developments in information technology and information system.
• Experience with the management of databases and information systems including design, development, implementation, and maintenance
• Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic and is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 April 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html Page 3 / 4In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 28.03.2018 to 10.04.2018
Requisition: CFA 2018/10 (P) - DTM Officer (Database) (UG) - Juba, South Sudan (55421441) Released Posting: Posting NC55421442 (55421442) Released
Page 4 / 4