UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works on the elimination of discrimination and violence against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women provides support to the Government of Mozambique in meeting its gender equality goals and in building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts in Mozambique to ensure commitment to gender equality.
Therefore, consolidating the institutional capacity of the Country Office is one of the enablers to increase delivery. It is in this context that a Programme Assistant is needed to support the Programme Unit.
Under the overall guidance of Country Representative and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist, the Programme Assistant works and provides support to the Programme Unit in designing, planning and management of the country programme by managing data and facilitating programme implementation. The Programme Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Programme Management Support
Provide programme and administrative support to the Programme Unit in designing, planning and management of the country programme by managing data and facilitating programme implementation.
Support the preparation of various programme documents, such as work plans, budgets, reports and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
Help the Programme team to analyze partners requests and prepare all background documents for approval;
Assist the Programme team in analyzing partners reports and ensure timely submission;
Organize programme meetings and elaborate minutes;
Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit;
Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, and other material as required;
Assist the programme team in reviewing and preparing documentation on the procurement of goods and services, and support contract tracking;
Help the team in providing guidance to the country and project offices on routine implementation of the project, tracking use of financial resources;
Participate in M&E field visits of various projects, elaborate and share reports
Facilitate the elaboration of the Roster of Consultants and other Services Providers for the Implementation of the Country Office Work Plan.
Work closely with the M&E Specialist for the follow up of the quarterly and Annual Reporting.
2. Financial Management Support
- Support Programme Staff to initiation of budget revisions, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of the project;
- Track monthly, the financial reports of projects in Atlas to inform on project delivery and timely alert on any follow up that may be needed;
- Support the Programme Team to analyze the financial reports of projects including the FACE and their compliance with advanced funds;
Create requisitions in Atlas for receipt of goods and services, including making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
Organize, compile and process information from the donor as well as from the programme team, and keep track of the information through databases and e-filing;
Support the programme team in the tracking of and reporting on mobilized resources;
3. Administrative Support to the Programme Unit
Provide administrative support to the programme team in the organization of events, meetings and workshops;
Make travel arrangements for the programme team and project staff, including preparation of travel requisitions and claims;
Draft non-substantive correspondence;
Maintain and organize up-to-date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials;
Create and maintain files of correspondence/documents and electronically received information and ensure up-to- date filing (Sharepoint and OneDrive).
Maintain both hardcopies and electronic copies of the office records and reference files on various subjects;
Prepare presentation material/slides in Power-point for presentations for the meetings/workshops and keep all papers ready for meetings;
4. Strategic partnership and resource mobilization
Analyze information on donors, prepare donor´s profile and data-base in conformity with UN Women Tools
Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas.
Revise the draft of the pipeline projects elaborated by the Programme team
Track and reporting on mobilized resources.
5. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
Participation in the preparation of Country Office and Projects trainings.
Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results will have a positive impact on the efficiency of the programme team and contribute to timely delivery of the project. Accurate data entry and tracking, proactive follow-up on commitments, and clear presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely and accurate administrative and logistical support to events, workshops, and missions;
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Timely and accurate tracking of data for CO management and donor purposes;
- Quality maintenance of internal systems and files;
- Quality and timely support to programme team.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the programme team, including logistical support;
Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
Ability to handle a large volume of work, also under time constraints;
Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
Ability to administer and execute financial processes and transactions;
Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
Completion of secondary education is required.
A Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Business or Public Administration or related field is an asset.
- Familiar with project´s management and implementation
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience with project´s management administrative tasks.
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages. Experience in working with ATLAS is an advantage.
- Work experience in administrative support of development programme/project is an advantage.
- Knowledge on gender issues and women´s empowerment
- Work experience within the UN system is an asset.
Fluency in English and Portuguese is required;
Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.