Task Manager on Youth and Women startup support
The Business Climate Improvement in the regions of Uzbekistan project is launched on 1 January 2018 in partnership with the Chamber of Commerce and Industry and will run until 31 December 2020. The project aims at supporting the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, line ministries and agencies of Uzbekistan to implement the Action Strategy on five priority directions of development of Uzbekistan in 2017-2021. In line with the third direction of the Strategy “Priority areas of development and liberalization of the economy” the Project will support improving the business environment to enhance sustainable private sector development, growth of incomes from entrepreneurship and promote women and youth employment in rural areas. The project document is available at: http://www.uz.undp.org/content/uzbekistan/en/home/operations/projects/poverty_reduction/business-climate-improvement-in-the-regions-of-uzbekistan.html
The project will focus on the following three areas:
- Develop proposals on improvement of legislation and its implementation on provision of public services to businesses on one-stop-shop principle. The Project will support national partners to study the best international practices and implement those in national legislation to streamline and simplify permits and licenses, reduce time and cost associated with administrative procedures.
- Support national partners in developing regulations necessary for implementing Public-private partnership initiatives in various sectors. Jointly with national partners the Project will initiate a pilot PPP project in utilities sector and assist in developing project documents, guidelines for conducting private partner selection tender and contract development and management;
The Task Manager on Youth and Women startup support is expected to focus on the third component:
Support national partners in developing youth and women entrepreneurship and start-ups with focus on innovation. The Project will develop proposals for alternative financing of inclusive business models. The Project will work in close collaboration with higher educational institutions and other partners to pilot business incubators and contribute to sustainability of youth start-up programme.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Task Manager on Youth and Women startup support will work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager. The Task Manager will be responsible for implementation of the Component III on development of youth and women entrepreneurship and start-ups with focus on innovation.
- Be responsible for the satisfactory achievement and implementation of the Component outputs;
- Familiarize him/herself with the overall development and business context in the country, including the existing cooperation in the field of private sector development between government institutions, international agencies and business community as well as with the findings of the scoping mission carried out by UNDP;
- Map, identify and prioritize potential sectors for inclusive business development, companies and other potential partners, engage in direct discussions and negotiations with them;
- Engage and sensitize all major stakeholders about inclusive business development and social responsibility mechanisms while establishing and maintaining close relationships with relevant companies, business associations, international organizations and UN agencies;
- Follow up and conduct supplementary research and other actions required to pursue negotiations and bring companies into the inclusive business development processes;
- Identify potential inclusive business projects in the regions of Uzbekistan and maintain database of these projects to communicate such proposals to potential investors/donors;
- Provide support in a) building enhancing business skills and entrepreneurship capacities of youth, women, b) developing gender sensitive programs and policies addressing the needs of women and c) collecting and analysing the data on needs and concerns of women in the area of economic empowerment;
- Launch and coordinate the feasibility studies on selected inclusive business projects, present the results to the Project Board;
- Provide continuous support to pilot projects in terms of facilitation and provision of needed knowledge and expertise;
- Support in organizing case writing on successful inclusive business projects and provide practical assistance to international and local consultants during case writing process, and provide substantive inputs to the cases.
- Facilitate knowledge and best practice sharing between project, UNDP CO, Chamber of Commerce and Industry, partner projects, government, private sector and other development partners, participate in relevant networks and meetings of practitioners;
- Help partners to define a model to support sustainability of the inclusive business development in the country;
- Mobilize resources for the inclusive business development.
- Ensure that gender considerations are effectively mainstreamed throughout activities;
- Design the scope of work and TORs for all bids and calls for proposals. Oversee work (quality and progress);
- Contribute in organizing various PR events including roundtable discussions, workshops, Business Forums, exhibitions and trainings in the regions;
- Prepare at least one blog post on output results and four communication materials per year;
- Perform other duties and responsibilities in the scope of current post.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment, self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acts as a team leader and facilitates team work;
- Manages conflicts, and facilitates an open communication in the team;
- Promotes learning and sharing knowledge and encourages the learning of others;
- Ensures informed and transparent decision making.
Results-Based Project Development and Management
- Provides information for linkages across project activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of project implementation;
Communication and Networking
- Has excellent oral communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflicting interests of varied actors;
- Has excellent written communication skills, with analytic capacity and ability to synthesize project outputs and relevant findings for the preparation of quality project reports;
- Demonstrates maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high ranking members of national and international institutions, government and non-government.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge sharing and learning culture in the team through leadership and personal example;
- Demonstrates Leadership and Self-Management;
- Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and in a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Organizes and completes multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Handles when necessary a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge on: 1) private sector development trends, achievements and issues; 2) business plan development and feasibility assessment; 3) gender issues, women entrepreneurship.
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and results for the client;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in economics, international economics, development, business, management, public finance or business law;
- At least 3 years of progressive work experience in the field of private sector development, rural development, gender and youth issues, development of laws and regulations, methodology and/or analytics;
- Fluency in English, Russian and Uzbek.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and RBM;
- Work experience in a development organization is an asset;
- Strong managerial and communication skills, ability to take decisions and to prioritize multiple tasks, results-orientation, ability to work in a team and stressful conditions;
- Initiative, analytical thinking, ethics and honesty;
- Skills for using ICT as a tool and data source;
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.