International Immunization and Cold Chain Consultant, Solomon Islands
Honiara (Solomon Islands)
Do you have demonstrated experience in strengthening cold chain and immunization supply chain systems? UNICEF Pacific would like to hear from you!
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, a right to be immunized
The Solomon Islands is a double chain archipelago of more than 900 islands with a landmass of 28,400km2 and over 1.3 million km2 of Territorial Ocean. The country is considered as a fragile and least developing country (UN LDC status), with total population of 599,419 . and annual birth cohort to be around 18,500 infants. With the vast expanse of territories inhibited by relatively small and widely dispersed populations, Solomon Islands shows unique characteristics in terms of supply chain management challenges.
 World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision". ESA.UN.org (custom data acquired via website). United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. Retrieved 10 September 2017
How can you make a difference?
UNICEF Pacific supports Solomon Islands in achieving its national immunization goals with an increased focus on strengthening its immunization supply chain systems to ensure that potent vaccines are available and are delivered efficiently. The Solomon Islands is prone to natural disasters and in that regard strengthening national immunization is especially important. Solomon Islands is a Gavi eligible country in accelerated transition phase and recently conducted an EVMA in July 2017 with an improvement plan developed for implementation. In addition, the country got approval from Gavi to expand the cold chain coverage to all health facilities in the country through the CCEOP, in addition to introducing new life saving vaccines to the routine schedule: like rotavirus, HPV and second dose of measles vaccine.
UNICEF Pacific is seeking a consultant to technically assist the MHMS to implement some specialized cold chain activities in the country, to further strengthening the immunization supply chain.
- An advanced university degree (or higher) in supply chain management, industrial engineering, economics, logistics, business, operations management, public health or any other relevant field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience at the national and international levels, on supply chain management, cold chain management, logistics or operations management and at least 3 years of experience on immunization/public health programmes.
- Familiarity with cold chain systems, effective vaccine management, inventory policies, logistics, outsourcing, segmentation strategies, integration of health products, and other system design strategies
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Computer skills, including quantitative analysis and reporting tools.
- Languages - Fluency in written and spoken English required.
For every Child, you demonstrate...Solid analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills; Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the work place.
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
Attached is the Terms of Reference for this Consultancy EXTERNAL TOR-Immunization Cold Chain Consultant, Solomon Islands.docx
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Honiara (Solomon Islands)
- Grade: International Consultant - Internationally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Supply Chain
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2018-04-19