Data Visualization Tool Consultant
UNICEF seeks a Data Visualization Tool (DVT) Consultant to work with its Private Fundraising and Partnerships (PFP) Division, and Regional and Country Offices to develop and scale-up the existing DVT. The consultant will be supporting UNICEF to develop new functions of the existing Data Visualization Tool to support data driven decision making process. Developing an integrated robust IT architecture related to the DVT, connecting different systems to have real time reliable data and KPIs, is part of the UNICEF strategy.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
UNICEF seeks a Data Visualization Tool (DVT) Consultant to work with its Private Fundraising and Partnerships (PFP) Division, and Regional and Country Offices to develop and scale-up the existing DVT.
The consultant will be supporting UNICEF to develop new functions of the existing Data Visualization Tool to support data driven decision making process. Developing an integrated robust IT architecture related to the DVT, connecting different systems to have real time reliable data and KPIs, is part of the UNICEF strategy.
The Data Visualization Tool Consultant will work closely with the fundraising teams in the Regional Offices, Geneva Office and across relevant PFP offices in the regions to complete the functionalities that are at different stages of development and to develop new ones, more specifically:
- Re-develop the metrics according to the new definitions, and re-develop the dashboard presentation;
- Support the integration of DonorPerfect Online/DPO (database in use in Country Offices) data of all countries available;
- Review and validate the mapping with DPO’s data from on-boarded countries
- Review and enhance the existing data models integrating the FDP requirements, and define the level of granularity at which proper code matching can be applied; develop the mapping table with DPO and FDP’s data (per country if required);
Develop the mapping of VISION’s expense data and other tools.
To enable UNICEF to deliver programmatic results for children, the Organization needs to have in place the right tools to monitor real time results, develop fundraising analyses and deliver KPIs useful to make data driven decisions on investments. Country Offices are fast-growing offices with high potential and having the DVT in place and fully working will support realizing growth of fundraising, especially in individual giving.
The existing DVT is developed on MS SQL 2016 platform using SQL services such as Server Integration Services, Server Reporting Services, and Mobile Report Publisher, etc. The data sources include DonorPerfect databases, Investment Funds application (MS SQL & .Net based in-house developed) and VISION (SAP-based application).
MAIN TASKS RELATED TO THE JOB
Under the coordinated guidance of the Programmer Analyst in ICT Geneva, the consultant will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate the monitoring of data flow from the data sources (DonorPerfect Visual/DPV & DPO in countries) during the on-boarding phase, and develop the monitoring mechanism and support involving country office, regional office, and Geneva for the steady state (business as usual);
- Coordinate the on-boarding of non-LAC countries and the integration of their data to the DVT as per the DPO migration calendar;
- Review and analyse the expense data from VISION and develop technical recommendations for users to ensure coding consistency and improve the quality of data across the Country Offices;
- Develop the data mapping and the data model that integrate expenses data from VISION covering 2018 and onwards;
- Explore and scope out the integration with VISION for historical data;
- The Integration with Investment Funds (IF) data is completed. Support the on-going mapping and support the assessment of options in handling complex calculations on the fly and low-level granularity, in order to avoid performance issues. Conduct further analysis and mapping, in order to develop simplified data models;
- Define the level of granularity at which proper code matching can be applied; develop the mapping table (per country if required);
- Develop data mapping and coordinate with COs in validation of the metrics and their data. Monitor data transfer, and ensure quality of data in transactions;
Support the integration with UNICEF retention monitoring tools.
- DVT is fully working and all known bugs fixed;
- New metric definitions are fully incorporated in the DVT according to new standards;
- Integration with EAP Countries is fully developed;
- Required data mapping is finalized, mapping table delivered, and documented;
- Data validation from Country Offices is delivered on time, in full;
- Retention monitoring tool data is fully integrated in the DVT;
- Integration with VISION is completed;
Investment Funds data on-going mapping is delivered on time, in full and further analysis to develop simplified data models is produced.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- At least 5 years hands-on experience of designing and developing business intelligence solutions and data analysis;
- Strong and proven experience in data modeling (statistical, quantitative, etc.) and data warehouse techniques and methodologies;
- Experience with MS SQL tools for data integration, analysis and reporting as well as visualization;
- Good knowledge in user interface design and front-end architecture for data visualization;
- Good knowledge of project management methodologies, project product delivery and technical documentation;
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, combined with strong business judgement and presentation skills;
- Good knowledge of relational and dimensional database concept, as well as online analytical processing;
- Deep understanding of metrics and KPIs in fundraising business and donor management, preferably in UNICEF;
Must speak English. Knowledge of Spanish is an asset.
ESTIMATED DURATION OF THE CONTRACT AND PROPOSAL
The assignment is estimated for three (3) months starting from 23 April 2018.
Based on satisfactory performance evaluation, eventual scope extension and budget availability, the contract can be extended for another (3) months.
CONSULTANTS WORK PLACE
The consultant will be home based with at least 3 weeks travel to Geneva and possible travels to Country Offices and/or Regional Support Center (as and when required). Travel dates will be determined when work related is defined.
Applicants are requested to submit a proposal for the consultancy including a clear fee structure. Travel cost need not be included.
Send your fee structure, proposal, CV and signed Personal History Form (attached) to email@example.com. Deadline to submit your applications is 17 April 2018.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
View our competency framework at
 FDP = Fundraising Development Programme
 LAC = Latin America and Caribbean
 EAP = East Asia and the Pacific