New York City (United States of America)
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women is working for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women is leading and coordinating the United Nations System to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It is providing strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Recognizing the unprecedented opportunities as well as the challenges of rapid innovation and technological development for gender equality and women empowerment and the importance of innovation to benefit women and men equally, UN Women has included innovation as one of the “drivers of change” in its Strategic Plan 2018-2021. UN Women’s innovation strategy aims to leverage innovation and technology to accelerate the achievement of gender equality and women’s empowerment. UN Women’s innovation strategy takes a partnership approach to focus on developing the market for innovations that advance gender equality and women’s empowerment; promoting a gender-responsive approach to the innovation cycle; promoting innovations created by women, for women; and de-risking high impact innovations that benefit marginalized women.
A lot of the material developed by UN Women to date has been text-heavy - focusing on the systematic approach taking to address a problem and not pulling out the key threads and narratives for ease of understanding and relatability purposes. Men are also unsure of their place in the conversation on gender parity because they are not part of the marginalized group. Men also care about equality in general but need the mechanisms to voice their support of gender equality in a tangible and relatable manner. UN Women hope to engage men to play a more active role and demonstrate that there is indeed a silent majority of men who wish to take action and demonstrate their solidarity with the cause of creating a gender-equal world.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor to the Executive Director, the Storyteller will be responsible for developing and executing communication strategies based on audience research, message framework, and core content to increase the capacity of the Executive Directors Office to best capture and share stories that represent the impact of the organization’s work. The Storyteller will be an extremely talented writer with a knack for crafting compelling content while balancing style and substance. This is the ideal position for a hardworking, attentive, and outgoing individual looking to work in a collaborative and collegial workplace learning from, with, and among smart, interesting and fun professionals.
Key responsibilities include:
Capturing engaging stories from across the globe that align with the following criteria:
- Stories should inspire and create a “click moment” for action
- Stories should be global in tone (i.e. relatable to an audience outside the US)
- Stories should be entertaining, have a humorous or educational tone, and take on gender parity/equality as a whole
- Aligned with UN Women and HeForShe brand guidelines and tone as appropriate
- Tone: Witty, humorous, considerate, masculine (smart sarcasm)
- Content will launch at the HeForShe IMPACT Summit 2018 and will be promoted during and after the event to maximize awareness opportunities.
- Content must live beyond the launch event to be used in evergreen communication.
- Animation creative should speak to digitally savvy individuals
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrating consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity:
- Demonstrating an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff; Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents;
- Organizational Awareness: Building support and political acumen;
- Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring: Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Working in Teams: Building and promoting effective teams;
- Communicating Information and Ideas: Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication.
- Self-management and Emotional intelligence: Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements: Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards;
- Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning: Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
- Strategic vision and strong analytical capabilities;
- Sound political judgment and highly developed inter-personal skills;
- Good knowledge of the UN system;
- Experience in areas related to gender issues.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certifications:
- Post-graduate degree in marketing, communications, journalism with minimum 5 years solid experience as Copy/Content writer
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of individuals;
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a strong sense of ownership, urgency, and follow through;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage time and prioritize efforts;
- Strong interest in current media and social media trends;
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment;
- Open to growing as part of a team – ability to take direction and be taught;
- Knowledge of current cultural and technology trends.
- Fluency in oral and demonstrated superior writing skills in English is required.
- Proficiency in another UN working language is desirable.