New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
The Communications section at UN Women Headquarters in New York supports the positioning of women’s empowerment and gender equality as key issues on the international agenda and establishes UN Women’s role as the global authority. In this context, visibility to promote UN Women is key and support for photographic coverage is needed. This includes photographing events and portraits, photo editing, image research (including for UN Women’s Annual Report), responding to internal/external photo requests, advising UN Women colleagues on photo policies and best practices, and supporting the day-to-day production of photographs on the UN Women website, in print products, and on all relevant social media platforms.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Photographic coverage, in digital original, of CSW62 and UN Women activities, including events, plenary meetings, bilateral meetings and other requested assignments, as directed by the Communications Section. Photographic editing, including captions, of the Consultant’s work, as well as editing support as requested.
- The Consultant shall:
- Submit the Deliverables above on a daily basis. Submissions must include the entire take of all photographs from the Assignment with metadata in all of the photographs and a selection the best photographs edited and optimized in high resolution
- Provide caption information to be incorporated into the metadata of the photograph files via Photo Mechanic including: names, titles and relevant information describing the persons, situations and events photographed.
- Deliver photographs at highest resolution as jpeg files (minimum requirement: 4000 pixels on the long side
Responsibilities of UN Women and the Consultant
- UN Women shall provide:
- Programme information, schedule and editorial guidance to the Consultant to enable him/her to understand the deliverables required and generate captions to embed in the photographs;
- The Consultant shall:
- Provide the necessary professional photography equipment necessary for the requested coverage as determined in consultation with the Supervisor
- Receive, Edit and archive photography from Regional and Country offices
- Provide edited and optimized photos for use on UN Women social media and website
- Undertake photography of UN Women events and internal requests, as needed
- Monitor and, if needed, maintain UN Women global Flickr account by uploading photos with appropriate embedded metadata
- Undertake photo research for UN Women publications
- Respond to requests for photos from media, partners and other sections within UN Women
- Advise colleagues on photo best practices using the UN Women Photo Policy
Performance Indicators for Evaluation of Deliverables
- The consultant shall deliver high quality photo coverage as directed by the Communications Section, gather and embed caption information and assist with photo editing as requested.
Warranties, Consent and Intellectual Property
- The Consultant represents and warrants that he/she has not, and undertakes that he/she shall not, infringe any third party intellectual property rights in performing any activities pursuant to the Contract. The Consultant represents and warrants that that he/she shall perform the activities pursuant to the UN Women Photo Policy and Guidelines including obtaining written consent when required, including from survivors of violence and from the legal guardian/s of children under 18 years of age.
- The Consultant shall indemnify, hold and save harmless, and defend, at its own expense, UN Women, its officials, employees, consultants, agents or other representatives from and against all suits, claims, demands, and liability of any nature or kind, including their costs and expenses arising out the Consultant’s violations of the representations and warranties above.
- The indemnity set forth, above, shall not apply to:
- A claim of infringement resulting from the Consultant’s compliance with specific written instructions by UN Women directing a change in the specifications for the Deliverables or directing a manner of performance of the Contract not normally used by the Consultant; or
- A claim of infringement resulting from additions to or changes in any Deliverables furnished under the Contract if UN Women or another party acting under the direction of UN Women made the changes.
- UN Women shall advise the Consultant about any such suits, proceedings, claims, demands, losses or liability within a reasonable period of time after having received actual notice thereof. The Consultant shall have sole control of the defense of any such suit, proceeding, claim or demand and of all negotiations in connection with the settlement or compromise thereof, except with respect to the assertion or defense of the privileges and immunities of UN Women or any matter relating thereto, for which only UN Women itself is authorized to assert and maintain. UN Women shall have the right, at its own expense, to be represented in any such suit, proceeding, claim or demand by independent counsel of its own choosing.
- In the event the use by UN Women of any Deliverables provided to UN Women by the Consultant, in whole or in part, in any suit or proceeding, is for any reason enjoined, temporarily or permanently, or is found to infringe any patent, copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right, or in the event of a settlement, is enjoined, limited or otherwise interfered with, then the Consultant, at its sole cost and expense, shall, promptly, either:
- procure for UN Women the unrestricted right to continue using such Deliverables provided to UN Women;
- replace or modify the Deliverables provided to UN Women, or part thereof, with the equivalent or better product, or part thereof, that is non-infringing; or,
- refund to UN Women the full price paid by UN Women for the right to have or use such Deliverables, or part thereof.
- UN Women confirms that the whole of the copyright present, future or contingent whatsoever and all other right, title and interest in and to the Deliverables shall be vested in the Consultant throughout the world in accordance with all applicable copyright laws. The Consultant further acknowledges and agrees that UN Women shall have the unconditional non-exclusive and perpetual right to make use of the Deliverables including but not limited to the entire take of all photographs from the Assignment in such manner as UN Women shall in its sole discretion think fit including without limitation the right to include the Deliverables on its own website and/or in any other public relations materials used to promote UN Women. UN Women may re-edit the Deliverables or any part thereof as convenient for its own exploitation of the Deliverables in any medium. UN Women may provide the Deliverables to other UN agencies and the media at no cost and may apply a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDeriv 2.0 Generic license to the Deliverables.
The provisions of this section 9 of the Terms of Reference shall supersede any inconsistent terms in the Contract for Consultant including the Conditions of Service for Consultants.
Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Cultural Sensitivity/Valuing diversity
Demonstrates an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values
Demonstrates / Safeguards Ethics and Integrity.
Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring:
Working in Teams:
Team player and facilitates team work.
Communicating Information and Ideas:
Facilitates and encourages open communication in the team, communicates effectively.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience as a working photographer and expert ability in photographing and photo editing similar projects/activities, skill with DSLR, with portfolio submission
- University degree
- Proficiency in Photoshop and metadata management with Photo Mechanic software including ability to optimize, select and deliver images according to the specified technical and editorial requirements
- Knowledge of existing UN and commercial photo archives
- Knowledge of photography licensing, usage practices
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills
- Familiarity with gender issues is an important asset
- Familiarity with the UN system is an asset