UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Head, Resilience and Empowerment Unit, the Programme Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women Policies and Procedures to i) Supports the effective implementation and monitoring of (a) projects and programmes consistent with UN Women programming policies and procedures; and (b) the overall performance of Jordan’s annual programme workplan and delivery targets; ii) Provides overall programme financial support services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work; andiii) Tracks all donor reporting ensuring timely submission and accuracy of data.
The Programme Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and Projects’ teams in the CO, the RO and HQ, as required, for resolving complex programme implementation and reporting, programme finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support in the formulation of Programme Strategies
- Programme Management Support
- Administrative and Financial Management Support to the Programme Unit
- Support to resource mobilization
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Support in the formulation of Programme Strategies:
- Collect and present background information for the preparation of effective application of RBM tools;
- Provide programme and administrative support in the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
Programme Management Support:
- Support the Programme Team in the implementation of the control mechanisms for development projects through monitoring of budget preparation and modifications;
- Create projects in Atlas, prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project;
- Support the Programme Team in the financial management of Programmes;
- Provide guidance to the executing agencies on implementation of projects, tracking use of financial resources.
- Provide necessary information for the audit of programmes/projects and support implementation of audit recommendations;
- Organize, compile and process information from donors, Regional Office, and programme team, as inputs to various databases and documents;
- Support the Programme team in the tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
Administrative and Financial Management Support to the Programme Unit:
- Review of Financial Reports; preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Ensure maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed; transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Take timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Create requisitions in Atlas for development projects registers of goods receipt in Atlas;
- Make budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
- Prepare cost sharing, and trust fund agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts;
- Assist in the preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas by elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
Effective support to creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of resource mobilization strategy, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Presentation of information/preparation of reports on identified areas for support and interventions based on completed and ongoing projects.
- Collection and analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile and database, and establishment of contacts with donor counterparts.
- Maintenance of proper documentation on donor agreements, tracking reporting requirements, and contribution to preparation of periodic donor reports.
- Maintain lists of contacts of partners and resource people.
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources.
- Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas.
Facilitation of Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing:
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme management;
- Support synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Support organization of training for the office staff and partners on programme and operations related issues.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Jordan Office and its Programmes/projects, and success in implementation of the strategies. Accurate analysis, data entry and presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Sound knowledge of procurement rules and procedures and asset management.
- Ability to perform a wide range of varied, inter-related administrative services
- Sound knowledge of financial rules and administrative policies and procedures
- Strong IT skills knowledge of ERP/Atlas
- Ability to interpret and analyze data and resolve operational problems
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, and to plan and organize work
- Ability to supervise and train support staff
- Ability to provide inputs to business process re-engineering and development and implementation of new systems
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education is required
- University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences is an asset.
- 6 years of progressively responsible experience preferably working for international organizations and NGOs in the area of gender and human development;
- Experience in project formulation and management in development/humanitarian context is an added advantage;
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages, experience in ATLAS an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.