Associate Project Engineer
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS (Pristina Project Center) has a varied portfolio of projects including infrastructure, project management support to partners and also management of partner personnel projects with UN agencies in the region. The infrastructure components relate to the EU funded Kosovar IBM Project whereby three common crossing points will be constructed through a direct grant modality from the EUoK to UNOPS PRPC. The scope of assignment will include the management of the construction stage with several contractor/s for the construction of the three common crossing points, as well as fit out and installation of all equipment and furniture.
The Associate Project Engineer is part of the UNOPS project team, he/she is required to manage, coordinate and supervise day to day activities of contractors on site and report accordingly to the Construction Manager Construction Manager as e direct supervisor followed by Deputy Project Manager as the secondary supervisor. The role will be based full time onsite at the works site of Merdare or Mutivoda CCP, there may also be other works required with some travel to PRPC office in Pristina.
The Associate Project Engineer will provide technical assistance and support with reference to the construction works as well as field coordination, ensuring high quality and consistency of work, for the construction works. The Associate Project Engineer will promote a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach as a member of the Project Team.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Construction Manager.
- Provide supervision of the project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery.
- Monitor and measure the works progress through the agreed Bill of Quantities (BoQ) as per the contract.
- Provide data and information about project work to the Construction Manager for reporting purposes.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports to the Construction Manager detailing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Construction Manager.
- As tasked by the Construction Manager supervise construction works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Support the overall management of works implementation to ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
- Provide regular support of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Construction Manager in the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stake holder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Oversee dimensional control and site surveying works, engineering control of the works etc.
Knowledge sharing and management
- Contribute to the project evaluation process; highlight challenges associated with the project and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to national/contractor personnel including advice on good construction and engineering practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, actively interact with other Engineers and the Engineering community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress and conditions on site through daily site records prepared and submitted by the engineering team.
- Prepare and submit to the Construction Manager a monthly(or as requested) report within 5 days of month-end, summarizing progress of contractor activities, quality control issues, health & safety issues, environmental issues, resourcing and scheduling issues, and any other as relevant pertinent facts as required.
- Produce any appropriate documentation identified by the Construction Manager and Deputy Project Manager in a professional and accurate manner.
Impact of results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Associate Project Engineer directly impacts the successful delivery of the project on time, budget and quality above the expectations of all stakeholders. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge and commitment to continuous learning. Demonstrates results orientation and focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors and other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner and to manage priorities.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project and in accordance with UNOPS shared goals.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and positive, constructive attitude Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure.
- The Associate Project Engineer is responsible for keeping abreast of new developments in engineering.
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Building or other related Construction Management field is required.Prince2 certification would be considered an advantage;
b. Work Experience
- 5 years’ experience, related to the project requirements, in civil engineering/ building construction management is required.
- Ability to deliver projects on time, within budget in a demanding cultural context with transitional. government partners under challenging physical conditions and limited national infrastructure is required.
- Relevant experience implementing works under complex quality, safety and environmental management plans is essential; also, 5 years’ experience of full time site management directing engineering technical trade staff is essential.
- Experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English is essential.
- Knowledge of local language (Serbian/ Albanian) is essential.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Pristina (Kosovo)
- Grade: LICA-6, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-04-25