Program Officer, Policy and Partnerships
Washington D.C. (United States of America) | United States
Program Officer, Policy and Partnerships
The International Services Department (ISD) at the American Red Cross provides support, guidance, and leadership in all aspects of the Disaster Cycle, working through Red Cross and Red Crescent national societies to strengthen their capacity to prepare for, respond to and recover from natural disasters, promoting community-level preparedness and risk reduction measures, and eliminating measles.
The global Red Cross and Red Crescent network has a presence in 191 countries. With more than a century of experience, the American Red Cross works with our Red Cross National Society partners to achieve a common goal—relieving human suffering throughout the world. The American Red Cross is a proud and active member of this, the world’s largest humanitarian network.
The Policy and Partnerships (P&P) team is a unit within ISD that supports preparedness, response and recovery through volunteerism, partnerships, policy development, communications and fundraising. The P&P unit is looking for a generalist to join the team and be based out of the NHQ office. This position will serve as the lead for all volunteer opportunities and engagement within ISD. In addition, this position will represent the International Services department with internal and external stakeholders. This position will be the primary point of contact for visits with our Movement partners and serve as a liaison to the international communications team. This position reports directly to the Executive Director of Policy and Partnerships, and is a full-time position.
Roles and Responsibilities:**
Volunteer Leadership (40%)
- Consults with department managers on volunteer position on-boarding, planned growth experiences, and volunteer career development.
- Along with the Volunteer Engagement Team, represents ISD for the purposes of volunteer engagement.
- Leads ongoing discussions with requesting ISD unit managers about volunteer engagement cycle, roles and responsibilities working to identify what’s working and lessons learned.
- Works with team members to ensure the integration of their work with volunteer recruitment, referrals and screening, recognition, and Volunteer Connection
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Movement relations including site visits, leadership prep, and support.
Partnership Development (30%)
- Represent ISD to internal Red Cross and external partner audiences
- Build partnerships internally and externally, including partnerships within and outside the Red Cross Movement to efficiently leverage department resources.
- Conduct outreach and coordination with partner organizations on behalf of ISD
- Draft, update and consolidate information products, reports, fact sheets, presentations, and briefings.
Other (communication, Movement relations, team support) (30%)
- Lead internal communications strategy and liaise with communications
- Support the Statutory Meetings with policy and leadership prep
- Provide administrative support to Policy and Partnership team
Manages interns and volunteers
Up to 15% travel required.
40% volunteer management, 30% partnership development/team support, 20% internal communications 10% Movement relations
- BA/BS in international studies, business management, public administration or relevant field required
- Minimum of five years of professional experience
- Customer Focused
- Strong Interpersonal Communication
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively handle multiple tasks at the same time
- Strong administrative skills.
- Must have excellent writing, editing and time-management skills, with a high proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Demonstrated interest in international development and humanitarian assistance.
- Must display flexibility, adaptability, initiative, and a high degree of competence in project support, research and teamwork.
- Commitment to volunteers and volunteerism
- Must possess strong personal integrity and commitment to basic Red Cross principles.
- Foreign language skills a plus.
Selected candidate must be legally allowed to work in the US without any need for Visa Sponsorship now or in the future.
- Organization: Red Cross - American
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America) | United States
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2018-04-30