International Consultant – Gender Trainer
Juba (South Sudan)
Purpose of consultancy:
Ministry of Health, in collaboration with United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) are leading the implementation Phase II of the Strengthening Midwifery Services (SMS) project (2016-2020) with the funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and the Government of Sweden. One of the critical component for the Project is to enhance capacity of Health sector and in particular SMS II partners in Gender integration.
In 2017, MOH in collaboration with Partners developed a gender mainstreaming Action plan to guide the strengthening of Gender Integration aspects within the SMS II. This strategy provides the overall framework for the systematic mainstreaming of gender in the midwifery programme in South Sudan. The action plan also provides continuous learning process to improve gender equality approaches as a key determinant for maternal health outcomes
One of the components in the Strategy is capacity building of partners in Gender integration in Health. In light of the foregoing, towards end of 2017, a consultant was hired to develop a Gender mainstreaming training Manual, which will be used for capacity strengthening in gender among partners.
As a basis for building the capacity of service delivery points to deliver culturally, gender and GBV sensitive and human rights midwifery programmes MoH with funding from UNFPA seeks to engage a consultant to support in the Roll out of the Gender capacity building to MoH and Partners
Scope of work:
The main aim of the Consultancy is to cascade Gender integration in Health Trainings for MOH and partners implementing SMS II project, using the existing Gender mainstreaming training manual in the health sector. Below are specifics:
- Design a training programme for ToT
- Train TOT and support to develop schedule and teams for cascade trainings in the states and with specific groups like Tutors
- Provide remote mentorship to the ToTs, during their first training.
Under the overall supervision of Director General of Reproductive Health at the MoH, and working closely with the Gender Specialist of UNFPA, the Consultant is expected to deliver the following tasks;
- Inception report that should be submitted after the initial consultative meeting with MOH and UNFPA.
- Conduct the TOT training
- Submit cascade training schedule for the trainers after ToT
- Submit Training report
Duration and working schedule:
The total duration of the Consultancy will be for 15 working days (including days and weekends from the date of signing contract. All the days will be spent in Juba.
Place where services are to be delivered:
Juba ONLY-South Sudan
Delivery dates and how work will be delivered:
15 man days and delivery of the assignment on the last day (upon signing of Contract)
Delivery of the TOT
Presentation of Trainers schedule and remote support during cascade training
Submission of report (Soft and Hard copies)
Monitoring and progress:
MoH- Director for Reproductive Health and UNFPA Gender Specialist will be responsible for monitoring progress guided by the agreed deliverables in the inception report
UNFPA Gender Specialist and DG-Reproductive Health
Qualifications and Experience:
- Academic Qualifications: A Master’s degree in gender and development, women’s studies and human rights, social science, public health or a combination of university degrees in related areas.
- Years of Experience:
- A minimum of 10 years’ in Gender mainstreaming capacity building particularly in Health Sector.
- Familiarity with the health sector, Gender and GBV issues and ICPD agenda will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated understanding of how to apply gender and GBV mainstreaming in Health sector activities.
- Extensive experience in developing gender mainstreaming strategies.
- Has experience working with a wide set of stakeholders on MoH, UNFPA mandate.
- Language and other skills:
- Excellent knowledge of written and oral communication in English.
- Computer skills: full command of Microsoft applications (word, excel, PowerPoint) and other relevant software based on the assignment.
Applicants are kindly requested to send their application to email@example.com by COB 26 April 2018. Applications received after this date will not be taken into consideration. All applications should be cleared marked with Subject Line “Gender Trainer (International Post)”.
Applicants will be short-listed on the basis of their qualifications and work experience. Only the short-listed candidates will be invited for interviews.
IMPORTANT: There is NO application processing or other fee at any stage of UNFPA application processes.