Administrative and HR Clerk (UN Women)
Today Ukraine is facing its most serious challenges since achieving independence in 1991. The conflict in the east forced more than one million people to leave their homes to save their lives. Recovery and Peacebuilding of the conflict-affected areas, as well as support of internally displaced people (IDPs) are among the top priorities for UN system in Ukraine.
UN Women has been working in Ukraine since 1999 to help the country meet its gender equality commitments and unlock progress for both women and men. Since 2015, UN Women has been scaling-up its presence and programme. UN Women facilitates gender mainstreaming in humanitarian needs assessments and planning to better meet acute and lifesaving humanitarian needs. UN Women supports greater engagement of women, particularly those facing compound discrimination due to displacement, age, disability, ethnic or other backgrounds. UN Women also contributes to recovery and peacebuilding efforts advocating for and supporting implementation of the United Nations agenda on Women, Peace and Security, which to date comprises of eight UN Security Council Resolutions and aims to ensure women’s full and meaningful participation in conflict prevention, peace-building and post-conflict reconstruction processes. The importance of women’s role in peace and social cohesion building processes in conflict-torn societies has also been the focus of CEDAW General Recommendation # 30 on women in conflict prevention, conflict and post-conflict situations and the UN Secretary-General annual report on “Women’s Participation in Peacebuilding”. UN Women also strives to support longer-term national reforms in Ukraine, including decentralization and security sector reforms, while promoting gender equality and women’s human rights and accountability. UN Women makes every effort to ensure full and meaningful participation of women and women’s groups and organizations in government reform processes, in humanitarian response decision-making and in recovery planning to ensure their responsiveness to the distinct needs of women and girls which may otherwise be overlooked.
Conditions of Service for national UN Volunteers
Contract is issued for a period of 12 months; with subsequent contract extensions subject to availability of funding, operational necessity and satisfactory performance. However, there is no expectation of renewal of the assignment.
Travel to duty station (if applicable) and a Settling-In-Grant will be provided in the event duty station is not within commuting distance from the place of recruitment. A Volunteer Living Allowance (VLA) of equivalent to 810 USD paid in UAH is provided monthly to cover housing, utilities and normal cost of living expenses. Life, health and permanent disability insurance are included (health insurance for up to 3 dependents), as well as final repatriation (if applicable) and resettlement allowance for satisfactory service.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Operations Manager the national UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
1. Provide logistical and event management support
- Arrangements of travel and hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats.
2. Ensure provision of basic administrative support services to the office:
- Processing of incoming calls and switchboard operations, when required;
- Preparation of routine draft correspondence, faxes, memoranda and reports;
- Extract, input, copy, scan and file data from various sources;
- Collect background information documents, as necessary.
3. Provide support with Human Resources related tasks:
- Maintenance of Attendance Records and acting as Leave Monitor;
- Forwarding vacancy announcements to web resources, monitoring the deadlines for submission of applications;
- Conducting long-listing based on the position requirements;
- Drafting minutes and justifications for the selection processes for different contractual modalities;
- Maintain staffing lists and reports as required.
4. Ensures maintenance of registry system and provides registry services through:
- Maintenance of the office filing system and records management, maintenance of electronic archives;
- Registration and dispatch of the outgoing communication.
5. Support to office maintenance and assets management
- Maintenance of records on assets management and preparation of required reports;
- Provision of support to maintenance of premises and common services;
- Maintenance of files and records relevant to office premises and related maintenance;
6. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, through:
- Participation in the training for office staff.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
- Support to administrative and HR services ensuring high quality of work provided,
- Accurate, timely and properly recorded/documented service delivery ensured, including registry and basic administrative services
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Secondary education completed. University Degree in public administration, finance, management or similar field would be desirable, but it is not a required
- 2 years of relevant experience in administrative support
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Applicant must be a citizen of Ukraine or legally resident in Ukraine including work permit.
- Applicant must be 22 y.o. or older as of recruitment date.
United Nations Volunteers is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture.
United Nations Volunteers reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this opening for other openings with United Nations Volunteers with similar assignment description, experience and educational requirements.