Project Associate - Yemeni Nationals Only - Three vacant positions
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women established its presence in Yemen in Dec 2014 working in close collaboration with the UN system providing coordination and programme support to strengthen the UN response to addressing national priorities for gender equality and women’s empowerment, in line with UN Women’s strategic vision. UN Women in Yemen has recently entered into a partnership with several partners to provide humanitarian assistance to vulnerable women as well as improve the resilience of population in Yemen with development support.
UN Women in Yemen is seeking to recruit a Project Associate to assist its work on the ground in the country under the direct supervision of UN Women programme specialists and overall guidance of UN Women Country Programme Manager in Yemen. And s/he will work in the context of UN Women.
The Project Associate is responsible for supporting the implementation of UN Women Yemen programmatic portfolio under Impact area 2 (Women’s economic empowerment) and Impact area 3 (Ending Violence against Women). The Project Associate will also be responsible for project development, management, including operation management, monitoring and reporting in the above mentioned programmatic areas. She/he will coordinate project activities with relevant UN agencies, implementing partners, technical advisors and experts, multi- and bi-lateral donors and other stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the UN Women programme specialists and overall guidance of UN Women Country Programme Manager in Yemen, the Project Associate will undertake the following functions:
Project Management – Financial, Administrative and Human Resources
- Supervise and manage project staff and external short-term consultants, lead and coach the project team in both substantial and operational issues.
- Undertake day to day management of the project, including smooth project implementation, efficient use of resources.
- Manage the project budget.
- Ensure appropriate recording and accounting documentation as required by UN Women and preparation of required financial reports. Make the financial operations of the project transparent and able to stand up to regular audits and evaluation.
- Facilitate project approval and budget revision processes as per UN Women policies and procedures.
- Prepare work plans, produce timely reports – financial and progress reports – as required by the UN Women and donor reporting systems.
Programme Development, Planning and Implementation
- Support in the planning and implementation of UN Women programmatic activities under impact area 2 Women's Economic Empowerment and impact area 3, Ending violence against women.
- Draft necessary strategic documents concerning project design and implementation, such as policy papers, results frameworks, work plans etc;
- Assist in the application of the programme systems and RMS requirements with close cooperation with the programme specialists.
- Develop Terms of Reference for project team, consultants/experts hired on a short-term basis and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of technical and other reports.
- Ensure the participation and involvement of relevant stakeholders in project activities so that the process is inclusive, participatory and transparent.
- Ensure the timeliness and quality of the outputs as well as timely preparation of reports on achievements and challenges faced within the project.
- Ensure delivery of resources and results according to planned targets.
- Ensure the development of cross-project linkages with other relevant projects and programmes for mutually reinforcing impact.
- Support and review all quarterly narrative and financial reports submitted by implementing partners and/or institutions under Institutional contract.
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning.
Advocacy, Partnerships and Resource Mobilization
- Establish and maintain partnerships with stakeholders (UN agencies, NGOs, local authorities and donors).
- Support the Country Office in mobilization of resources from different partners. This will include the preparation of strategies, project briefs and project documents, organization of regular donor meetings and field visits.
- Follow-up on resource mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the UN Women Programme Specialist.
- Provide inputs and technical support to all communications and knowledge product development.
- Perform any other job-related duties assigned by the Country Programme Manager in Yemen.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Good budget and finance skills;
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations;
- Good analytical skills;
- Knowledge of UN programme management systems;
- Previous experience in Women Economic Empowerment;
- Previous experience in Violence against Women;
- Monitoring and reporting experience;
- Donor reporting and Capacity building experience.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent in Management, Public Administration, Human Rights, Economics, Gender Studies, International Development and Social Sciences or a related field is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience of relevant work experience at the national and/or international level in project formulation, implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building;
- Experience in the women’s empowerment Programmes is an asset;
- Experience in coordinating and liaising with government, agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Prior experience in the UN System will be an asset.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
UN Women is applying fair and transparent selection process that would take into account both the technical qualification of Consultants as well as their price proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores.