Statistician to Review and Fact-Check Data in the Statistical Stables – Regional SDG Publication (Consultancy)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates the efforts of the United Nations system to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. UN Women provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women and the ADB are collaborating to produce a regional flagship publication, “Benchmark Publication: Gender Equality and the SDGs in Asia and the Pacific”. The study aims to provide new evidence for monitoring the implementation of gender-related SDG goals, targets and indicators, as well as provide policy recommendations to help governments in the region improve gender statistics and equality outcomes by 2030. Data and statistics are important tools for devising policies to achieve gender equality and women’s empowerment, assessing their impact, and ensuring accountability. At the international level there have been important advances in normative and technical standards related to gender statistics. At the regional level, the Benchmark Publication serves as a critical evidence-based policy advocacy tool to advance the strategic positioning of gender statistics as a key part of evidence-based policy-making for the next 15 years.
In this regard, rigorous evidence is integral to inform policy to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment. The Benchmark Publication is expected to provide a snapshot of the current status (baseline) as well as concrete measurements of progress towards gender equality in relation to the SDGs in Asia and the Pacific region. Simultaneously, it aims to identify data gaps (in statistics) as well as provide a policy tool to help governments in the region to improve gender equality outcomes by 2030.
Duties and Responsibilities
Objective of the Assignment
The overall objective of this consultancy is to assist in fact checking of key contents and annex tables of the publication, as well as producing and performing any additional data analysis required.
Under the immediate guidance of the production team led by UN Women and ADB, the consultant will be working in close collaboration with the Regional Programme Specialist of UN Women Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP). In this regard, the consultant will assist in reviewing and fact checking of key contents and statistical tables/annexes in the Publication. He/she will work with the production team to finalize the publication with thorough data/fact checking. Where the publication requires the development of new figures to supplement the chapters and provide further statistical evidence to support the key findings of the report, the consultant is required to work with the team to complete additional statistical analysis in a timely fashion.
Scope of Work
Technical and substantive editing includes the following:
- Review the key data and figures in all the statistical tables in the design/layout of the publication to ensure that they are accurate based on the final statistical tables in excel sheets;
- Support the team with any additional figures and/or identify missing references/sources of data in the final layout, if required.
The consultant is expected to deliver the following:Output: Complete data/fact checking for all the statistical tables of the publication. Tentative timeline: End of May.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
Development and Innovation:
- Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
Work in teams:
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international development, development studies, gender studies, law, social science, statistics or related field that require strong quantitative analysis/focus.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience with expertise in conducting high quality statistical research in areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment, including related issues such as education, health, poverty and inequality and/or studies of development trends;
- Substantive knowledge and understanding of policy issues related to women's rights, gender inequality and social and economic development is an asset;
- International experience with development organizations, with experience working within United Nations system and/or ADB is an advantage;
- In-depth understanding of gender and gender-related SDG indicators across the 16 goals;
- Proven experience in using statistical and data analysis to inform evidence-based research in the areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Knowledge and familiarity with statistical software such as Stata and Microsoft Office essential;
- Capacity to assess qualitative and quantitative research on development.
Communication and Language Requirements:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English is required.
The candidates will be evaluated on the basis of the following criteria: (i) educational background and work experience as reflected in their CV and relevant publications; (ii) the short technical proposal; and (iii) financial proposal, which includes daily consultancy rate as well as the breakdown for each deliverable. The evaluation will be based on the combination of the weighted technical and financial scores (80 per cent technical and 20 per cent financial). The technical evaluation includes the knowledge/expertise in conducting high quality statistical research in areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment, including key issues such as education, health, poverty and inequality and/or studies of development trends, understanding of the gender and gender related indicators in the SDGs, statistical and data analysis, proven track record in conducting data/fact checking for a major/flagship publications for reputable international organizations.