Strategic Partnerships Consultant
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Regional Office for Arab States (ROAS) located in Cairo, supports programmes broadening the scope of women’s citizenship, leadership and political participation, especially in transition countries. This is essential to ensuring that transitions are both fully inclusive and democratic, and respond to the needs and priorities of women and girls. Additionally, and as part of broader momentum for reform across the Arab states, and towards institutionalizing gender in governance, ROAS assists efforts to make national plans and budgets fully supportive of gender equality commitments. Economic empowerment is another critical concern, therefore, ROAS engages with regional partners and civil society to advance policies and programmes that bolster women’s opportunities in this arena. Ending violence against women is another critical component of UN Women ROAS by supporting the adoption of national policy frameworks, reforming laws discriminating against women, establishing comprehensive prevention and protection services, and raising awareness of strategies to combat violence.
Covering 18 Arab countries, UN Women is embarking on programming in the GCC, and expanding its programme presence there, including exploring new partnership opportunities.
Against this background, UN women ROAS is seeking a partnerships expert to explore entry points for UN Women in the GCC, and identify new partnership opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the regional director, the consultant will be exploring partnership opportunities in the GCC for strategic partnerships and advocacy around UN Women´s priority areas. The consultant should have experience forging partnerships in these countries, with proven networking skills. Specifically, the consultant will be:
- Develop a partnership engagement strategy in the GCC;
- Identify and mobilize key strategic partnerships with foundations, private sector, and individuals to enhance impact and influence for UN Women’s strategic priorities;
- Develop methodologies, strong cases for investments, engagement, upgrade and recognition mechanisms;
- Facilitate outreach and advocacy opportunities where possible;
- Advise UN Women on entry points and relevant programme development (with the programme team);
- Manage private sector partnerships;
- Support in development, support and implementation of raising awareness and PR placement of UN Women GCC partnerships; progammes and awards in global media;
- Support in messaging and social media of relevant partnerships, programs and initiatives;
- Engage private sector in the women´s empowerment principles where feasible;
- Ensure effective and efficient positioning and packaging of UN Women’s mission and programs in alignment with private sector objectives to engage long-term support and partnership.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Ability to identify and develop corporations and foundations into strategic partners of UN Women;
- Ability to effectively represent UN Women in meetings, advocate for the mandate of the organization and establish partnerships;
- Ability to capitalize on effective communication, outreach and ensure visibility for UN Women, the mandate of the organization and its partners;
- Capacity to work with diverse partners including governments, civil society and women's groups;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to manage for results including excellent planning, goal-setting, prioritization and organizational skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor´s degree (or equivalent) in Political or Social Science, Communications, Media Relations, International Development Studies, Gender/Women's Studies.
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant national/international working experience in managing partnerships and relationship building;
- Experience working with GCC partners is required;
- Experience working on Communications/Media relations;
- Experience in the United Nations, UN Women and/or other multilateral organizations is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of French/Arabic is an asset.
Scope of price proposal and schedule of payments
Remuneration - Deliverables:
The Contract is based on deliverables and a workplan to be developed.
Required Presentation of Offer.
The following documents are required to be submitted:
- Updated P11/CV (signed), indicating all relevant past experience, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) professional references (P11 can be downloaded at UN Women web site: http://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment).
- Financial proposal, the consultant is expected to provide a daily fee amount as a financial proposal.
Note that the DSA, terminals and round-trip economy fare tickets for the travel requested by UN Women as part of completing this assignment will be compensated separately.
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer.
Individual consultants will be evaluated based on the following methodology: Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for the financial evaluation.
Criteria Weight Technical: 70%
- Criterion 1: Bachelor´s degree (or equivalent) in Political or Social Science, Communications, Media Relations, International Development Studies, Gender/Women's Studies. (15 points)
- Criterion 2: Minimum of 15 years of relevant national/international working experience in managing partnerships and relationship building including with media, private sector, etc. (20 points)
- Criterion 3: Experience working with GCC partners, including organizations and private sector (20 points)
- Criterion 4: Experience working on communications/Media relations (15 points)
Financial: Lowest Financial Proposal: 30%
- Contract will be awarded to the technically qualified consultant who obtains the highest combined score (financial and technical);
- The points for the Financial Proposal will be allocated as per the following formula: (Lowest Bid Offered*)/ (Bid of the Consultant) x 30;
- 'Lowest Bid Offered' refers to the lowest price offered by Offerors scoring at least 49 points in the technical evaluation.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
UN Women is applying fair and transparent selection process that would take into account both the technical qualification of Consultants as well as their price proposals. The contract will be awarded to the candidate obtaining the highest combined technical and financial scores.