Consultant on Violence against Women Data
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The work of UN Women’s Ending Violence against Women (EVAW) Section is broadly focused on a comprehensive approach to ending violence against women that addresses legislation and policies, prevention, services for survivors, research and data. UN Women is currently establishing a Global Joint Programme, “Strengthening methodologies and measurement and building national capacities for violence against women data”. This 5-year programme aims to ensure quality, comparable data on different forms of violence against women are available and collected over time to address national data gaps and meet policy and reporting commitments under the SDGs, CEDAW and the Beijing Platform for Action. This will be done through: (1) The strengthening and dissemination of measurement and methodologies for VAW data collection and use, including for national, regional and global monitoring and reporting requirements for SDG target 5.2 indicators; (2) The increase of capacities of national institutions to collect violence against women data in line with globally agreed standards; (3) The collection and use of national data on VAW for advocacy, policy and programming to end violence against women and girls. UN Women is the Administrative Agent and Convening Agency of this Joint Programme, which will be implemented jointly with WHO.
Under the supervision of the Policy Specialist on Violence against Women Data, UN Women seeks to hire a consultant to support the set-up of the required systems and tools for the management and coordination of the Joint Programme, as well as to technically contribute to the implementation of the Joint Programme, in the three areas described above.
Duties and Responsibilities
(1) Support the set-up of the required systems and tools for the management and coordination of the Joint Programme on VAW Data:
- Design, draft and review of project documents, including terms of reference of different systems to be set-up, to ensure timely implementation of the programme;
- Design, draft and review of templates for the annual narrative and financial reports to the donor, in alignment with available standard templates;
- Support the preparation of budgets and proposed activities under the different Joint Programme outcomes to ensure they comply with the objectives of the programme and with the agreed timelines;
- Support the overview of procurement processes, logistical services and asset management in accordance with corporate rules and regulations, as needed;
- Support the communications with and preparation of materials for Steering Committee meetings and other meetings with partners of the programme;
- Support the communications with UN Women Regional and Country Offices in relation to the implementation of the Joint Programme.
(2) Contribute technically to the implementation of the Joint Programme on VAW Data:
- Contribute technically to inter-agency work around VAW data collection, analysis and reporting, in particular in relation to the monitoring and reporting of SDG target 5.2 indicators;
- Update and expand UN Women’s matrix of VAW prevalence data;
- Contribute to the development of a capacity building strategy for the implementation of VAW prevalence surveys;
- Contribute to the preparation of meetings and workshops to be organized as part of the Joint Programme implementation.
(3) Provide technical contributions to the data and research activities of the EVAW Section:
- Technically contribute to data and research activities for all products of the EVAW Section, including technical assistance to UN Women field offices;
- Contribute to desk reviews and data collection, as required, for the reporting of progress under EVAW commitments in the current UN Women Strategic Plan.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women’s rights issues
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with partners, especially with other UN organizations
- Proven networking skills, and ability to mobilize support on behalf of UN Women
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes
- Aptitude in dealing with numbers with high accuracy
- Flawless attention to detail and organizational skills
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in international development, women’s studies, sociology, psychology, public health, or a related field is required.
- At least 4 years of progressively responsible experience in ending violence against women and girls programmes, violence against women research and/or programme management;
- Experience in gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Experience working with international institutions, donors and civil society organizations;
- Experience working in the UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.