The Resident Coordinators Office provides support to the RC/UNCT’s roles and efforts in coordinating the work of the UN system at the country level. The office works in close collaboration with the UN programme and operations teams of the Agencies, Regional UN Development Group (R-UNDG) staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful implementation of UNCT activities. The RCO also acts as a first port-of-call to provide services and support to the Government and other stakeholders such as the Private Sector, Civil Society Organisations and other Development Partners. Specifically, the RCO supports 10 core coordination functions performed by RCs and UNCT which include:
- Strategic analysis and planning
- Oversight of the UN country programming cycle
- Representation of and support of UN Secretariat and UN agencies/NRAs
- Support to national coordination systems and processes
- Development and management of shared operational support services
- Crisis management and preparedness response
- External communication and advocacy
- Human rights and development
- Joint resource mobilization and fund management and,
- General UNCT oversight and management.
Under the direct and day to day supervision of the Resident Coordinator in close consultation with the UN Coordination Analyst and UN Women South Africa Multi-Country Office, the Gender Specialist will be responsible for providing strategic and technical advice to the Resident Coordinator and the UN Country Team (UNCT), to strengthen the work of the United Nations in Namibia on gender equality across the UN Partnership Framework (UNPAF). The Specialist will also provide technical support and content expertise on gender mainstreaming in all stages of UN programming in Namibia. She supports UN Women in supporting Namibia UNCT to achieve results on gender equality and women’s empowerment in support of national priorities on gender equality and women’s empowerment. She/he provides direct support to the work of the UN Gender Theme Group, UN staff and agencies and other partners in ensuring successful support to promoting gender equality in their work.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordination and Knowledge Management:
- Support the gender theme group in coordinating Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment work of UN system in Namibia.
- Provision of technical advice to the UN Resident Coordinator (RC) as required, in the coordination of emerging technical and development assistance to the Government of the Republic of Namibia ensuring emerging development support responds to women’s needs and national gender equality priorities.
- Contribute to mainstreaming gender equality and women’s empowerment into all programs related to the UNPAF implementation in a coherent manner, through close consultation with the UN Gender Theme Group (GTG), and the Chair/co-chairs of the UNPAF Pillars and other theme groups.
- Coordinate capacity building efforts on gender mainstreaming at all stages of the UNPAF implementation (annual work plans, monitoring, reporting and evaluation), development of a new UNPAF as well as other processes related to fulfilling the Delivering as One agenda in Namibia.
- With the support of the Gender Focal Points build and promote internal capabilities and collaboration in mainstreaming gender within UNPAF including SDGs related to gender equality;
- Act as resource person in capacity building, knowledge sharing events and other relevant activities on gender equality and women’s empowerment in the UN System.
- Coordinate gender equality and women’s empowerment activities of the RCO.(peace and development, human rights, monitoring and evaluation).
- Ensure knowledge sharing, documentation and dissemination of good practices on gender equality, women’s empowerment and rights within the UNCT and the broader UN system;
- Support in close consultation with UN Communications Group, the communication of gender equality and women’s empowerment results to external audiences.
- Support the establishment of advocacy networks and substantively support high impact advocacy initiatives/campaigns with key partners.
Strategic advice to the UN RC and UNCT in promoting women’s rights and gender equality in the country:
- Provide analysis and strategic advice to the UNCT on current gender issues and opportunities to support inclusive engagement of women in the development assistance provided by the UN in Namibia including through preparation of regular analytical briefs.
- Identify and advise on entry points for new initiatives for the UN to strengthen national and local capacities for gender equality and to support the advancement of women’s empowerment and gender equality in the country in close consultation with GTG.
- Provide technical support to the UNCT in utilizing key accountability tools and processes (e.g. the Gender Score Card, Gender Marker) to ensure that the UN System in Namibia tracks and is accountable for gender equality and women’s empowerment during the UNPAF implementation.
Representation, Resource Mobilisation and Partnership Building:
- Provide secretariat to Gender Theme Group working closely with the GTG Chair.
- Lead resource mobilisation for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment initiatives for the UNPAF including donor intelligence, mapping of resource mobilization opportunities and development of concept notes/proposals.
- Identify new and innovative financing for gender equality and women’s empowerment including from non-traditional donors such as the private sector.
- At the request of the Resident Coordinator, represent the UN system on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues at conferences and meetings to present UN system efforts for the advancement of gender equality in Namibia.
- Maintain active relationship/partnerships with National Government Counterparts, UN System, international community, inter-government and non-governmental organizations, institutes and academia on gender equality and women’s empowerment issues to enhance collaboration, resource mobilization and share and influence agenda and priority setting.
- Support the liaison between the UNCT/RC and the Ministry of Gender Equality and Child Welfare as the main Government interlocutor on gender equality issues
- Advise and support the UNCT in forging strategic partnerships at the national and local level to promote gender equality, women’s advancement and women’s representation.
Programme development and management
- Support the integration of the UNDG Programming Principle on Human Rights and Gender Equality and Empowerment in the various stages of the UNPAF.
- Support the development of gender joint programmes in support of international and national commitments on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls as outlined in the UNPAF 2014-18.
- Provide technical assistance for the implementation of gender joint programmes/initiatives.
- Support monitoring and evaluation of gender joint programmes including timely reporting.
Core Values/Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of the UN in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff; demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgement.
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative.
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge.
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Proven ability to advocate and provide policy advice in gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment;
- Knowledge of UN System and understanding of inter-agency coordination processes;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, programme development and implementation, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships;
- Knowledge of methodologies and best practices for promoting gender equality, equity and women empowerment in general and in the Africa region in particular;
- High degree of political acumen and sensitivity and demonstrated ability to achieve results in politically and operationally complex environments;
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.