Programme Officer, Gender, Peace and Resilience Building (Myanmar national only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. At the country level, UN Women is leveraging its triple mandate in Myanmar to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment (GEWE) as central to the peacebuilding, crisis response and recovery, democratic governance, and development processes.
Due to persistent gender inequalities and discrimination, the conflict, humanitarian and developmental challenges facing Kachin State are felt especially by women including the loss of life, damage to infrastructures, destruction of livelihoods, protracted displacement of hundreds of thousands of people, and increased gender-based violence and trafficking. To address their specific needs and vulnerabilities and catalyse their leadership, UN Women is working in Kachin State to support strengthening women’s leadership and participation to ensure the humanitarian, peace and development process is shaped by women’s decision making and engagement, as well as promoting women’s self-reliance through improved livelihood security. Guided by principles of national ownership and support towards fulfillment of commitments made by the Government of Myanmar for advancement of women and achievement of gender equality, and in partnership with local women’s groups and network, UN Women will implement programmes to promote gender equality, women’s leadership and empowerment along the humanitarian-peace-development continuum in Kachin, Myanmar. This will include mitigating and responding to human rights violations and protection risks such as trafficking, promoting social cohesion, and economically empowering women and building the resilience of the family and broader community to contribute towards socio-economic development, social cohesion, peace and resilience building in Kachin State.
Reporting to the Humanitarian Action and Resilience Building Programme Specialist with UN Women in Yangon, Myanmar, the Programme Coordinator contributes to the effective management and coordination of UN Women gender, peace and resilience building programmes across the humanitarian-peace-development continuum in Kachin State, Myanmar (particularly focusing on trafficking prevention and response) by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. She/he is also responsible for coordinating with national partners and statekeholders in the Humanitarian, development and peace building field in Myanmar. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the programme and operations teams in Yangon, Myanmar and regional office of UN Women, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under this portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
?1. Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of gender, peace and resilience building, particularly considering context of prevention and response to trafficking as well as the broader humanitarian-peace-development continuum and finding solutions which offer longer-term solutions
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme and liaise with the Myanmar and regional humanitarian unit for advice and actions
2. Coordinate and provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the gender peace, and resilience building programme including a focus on trafficking prevention and response
- Coordinate and provide technical inputs to the overall Programme/Portfolio work plan development and implementation according to programme document
- Lead the implementation of programme activities at the state and national level;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
3. Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners including at local level
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities;
- Coordinate relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the gender, peace and resilience building programme including a focus on trafficking prevention and response;
- Identify capacity building needs and support partners through technical/ programming assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives, as needed.
4. Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools, including conducting regular monitoring visits, as required;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports e.g quarterly reports, annual reports.
5. Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the gender, peace and resilience building programme including a focus on trafficking prevention and response
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Monitor the allocation and disbursement of funds to participating partners;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports.
6. Support efforts in building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies on humanitarian-development programming opportunities
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
- Maintain regular communication with relevant government, UN, CSO and other partners and facilitate information sharing, partnership on various information
7. Contribute to inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for gender equality, women’s empowerment for peace and resilience building in Kachin State, Myanmar including a focus on trafficking prevention and response
- Provide substantive technical support to the Programme Specialist on Humanitarian Action and Resilience Building, as well as the Officer-in-Charge of UN Women Myanmar and Regional Humanitarian Advisor on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
- Represent UN Women at relevant interagency coordination meetings as required and provide technical assistance for gender mainstreaming into humanitarian actions and resilience building
8. Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to gender equality and women’s empowerment in peace and resilience building across the humanitarian-development nexus including a focus on trafficking prevention and response;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on gender equality and women’s empowerment in peace and resilience building across the humanitarian-development nexus including a focus on trafficking prevention and response.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of humanitarian action and resilience building, including trafficking prevention and response
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, international law or other social science fields is required with at least 2 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building in the area of gender and development, and/or related fields.
- OR Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, international law or other social science fields is required with at least 4 years of progressively responsible work experience in development programme/project implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation, donor reporting and capacity building in the area of gender and development, and/or related fields.
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset;
- Knowledge of local language in the duty station is an asset