Country Security Manager
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where it is estimated that 1.2 million people are in grave danger.
Country Security Manager
The Country Security Manager will work under the supervision of the Country Director of NRC Iraq, and the guidance of the Regional Security Advisor in Amman.
Role Specific Information
- Ensure that NRC security and safety systems are conducive to NRC programme implementation, duty of care and staff care standards
- Quality assure implemented security systems and advise on improvements
- Ensure that NRC security protocols and systems reflect at all times the threats and risks identified through ongoing security risk analysis and are nuanced to particular situations, events and geographical locations
- Produce assessments, projections and analyses related to power and stakeholder structures, conflict dynamics and important social, economic and political developments;
- Advise the Country Director and other staff about security all security matters and contribute to an inclusive organizational culture rooted in security awareness and information flow;
- Collect and exchange information with relevant external counterparts (UN, NGOs, national, local authorities, embassies etc.)
- Ensure alignment between programmatic priorities, NRC’s access and advocacy work and security and safety procedures
- Develop and review communication procedures and protocols
- Any other tasks as required and within the spirit of the present Job Description
Our Ideal Candidate:
A University Graduate in a relevant discipline (Security, Risk & Crisis Management or similar), a seasoned professional with an analytical mind, who can gather information from strong networks they build and maintain. An individual with significant political and cultural awareness and highly experienced in humanitarian context Additionally, we are looking for a professional with proven experience liaising with relevant stakeholders.
A demonstrated leader with strong communication and management skills, it is vital that the incumbent is familiar with the context in Iraq.
Contract period: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Erbil
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil (Iraq)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Security and Safety
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-08-19