Administrative Assistant II
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
OBJECTIVE OF THE OFFICE/DEPARTMENT
This is a requisition for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The Communicable Diseases and Environmental Determinants of Health Department (CDE) promotes, coordinates, and implements technical cooperation activities directed toward the surveillance, prevention, control, elimination and/or reduction of communicable diseases, zoonosis and environmental threats to health that are technically sound and appropriate for the political and sociocultural context in which they are implemented. It strives to achieve a sustainable impact on health by providing normative guidance, furthering the implementation of evidence based interventions, fostering alliances that strengthen country capacity, improving the effectiveness of inter-country collaboration, and facilitating policy and decision-making processes.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Communicable Diseases & Environmental Determinants of Health (CDE), and the direct supervision of the Unit Chief, Climate Change and Environmental Determinants of Health (CDE/CE), the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties\:
- Perform administrative support functions, including but not limited to maintaining the agenda, place and answer telephone calls, handle those of routine nature or forward the call to the corresponding officer(s), receive visitors; maintain the calendar of appointments and deadlines; prepare routine correspondence in English and Spanish; draft articles, reports, technical documents, charts, and a variety of correspondence involving the use of technical terminology; prepare agendas and other material for use on official trips or special meetings;
- Review all incoming correspondence which require action by Unit Chief, Climate Change and Environmental Determinants of Health (CDE/CE); identify urgent matters, and ensure that these are handled expeditiously, determining which can be answered by specific Office personnel; gather necessary background documentation for correspondence requiring action; make recommendations regarding the appropriate action to be taken; monitor that deadlines for responses are met; follow up with various personnel in the Office for the submission of reports and formulation of correspondence;
- Assist in the preparation of technical presentations, technical reports and articles by reviewing, correcting and/or rewriting texts to improve clarity, conciseness and, coherence; prepare and verify the content of tables, graphs, and charts; follow-up on the submission of reports and correspondence in order to meet established deadlines;
- Serve as liaison regarding logistical and operational processes and activities, as well as with other offices throughout the Organization; communicate procedures to be followed for meetings of Governing Bodies, Advisory Committees, etc.;
- Prepare correspondence on own initiative or from verbal instructions for signature; prepare draft translations of correspondence and other materials from English into Spanish and vice versa;
- Review all outgoing correspondence requiring the official signature; proofread for style, punctuation, grammar, spelling and adherence to the Organizationâs standards and policies; recommend revisions to correspondence and other documents to ensure that they are clear and accurate in content;
- Assist in the coordination, preparation and implementation of internal and external meetings, conferences, seminars, or other events; prepare correspondence and documentation as needed; initiate documents for recruitment of temporary staff and contingent workers; assist with travel arrangements;
- Coordinate the administrative services of the Office, distributing special assignments to other administrative support staff; brief and train new staff on administrative procedures and practices and give guidance, as required;
- Establish and maintain physical and electronic files and controlled reference material; conduct research of files, reports, and other sources to obtain material requested and, when necessary, compiling summaries;
- Participate in the preparation of the Projectâs Biennial Work Plan (BWP), budget and technical evaluation reports;
- Perform other related duties; including backstopping for other CE team members, as assigned.
Essential\: Certification of completion of High School.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http\://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https\://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential\: Five years of administrative work experience.
- Intrainstitutional Action\: Displays, through behavior, understanding of PAHO's values and mission. Seeks information on and acts with understanding of the Organization's expectations while advancing further the understanding and application of it's policies. Shows interest and concern for the activities related to his/her work in conjunction with the mission, values, vision and policies of the organization.
- Teamwork\: Encourages team members, adds significant contribution when participating in internal and external work teams, and leads through personal example the virtues of team success--collaboration, trust, transparency and joint responsibilities. Builds and maintains mutually beneficial productive interpersonal relations based on trust, inside and outside the Organization. Keeps every team member informed as well as shares relevant and useful information.
- Service Orientation\: Follows through on the client inquiries, requests and complaints. Keeps client up-to-date about progress of projects. Monitors client satisfaction.
- Administrative support for technical cooperation interventions\: Searches for and furnishes relevant information about resource allocation and deadlines, potential critical points, risks and benefits, and other related aspects of available options to provide support for the technical cooperation teams.
- Devising the budget for interventions and cost optimization\: Provides the necessary information to ensure that intervention plans include the optimal allocation of financial resources, guaranteeing that the activities are executed and the results achieved.
- External Action\: Establishes and maintains identifiable, results-oriented mutually beneficial productive relations and partnerships with counterparts in other institutions and sectors. Able to sustain working relationships with people in other institutions.
- Accountability\: Accurately and objectively provides information, as required, on oneâs activities. Prepares accurate and objective reports on oneâs activities and partial/final results. Can account for each of the specific tasks of oneâs work.
- Word processing in accordance with established standards.
- Proficiency in the use of computer software in accordance with assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to write/originate routine and non-routine correspondence and reports in English and Spanish.
- Ability to prepare working translations.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and carry out administrative processes such as\: meetings, recruitment of staff, personnel matters, preparation of formal publications, budget and expenditures records, acquisition of supplies.
- Ability to research, analyze and organize information in order to prepare charts, graphics, reports, etc.
- Ability to coordinate, monitor and control administrative services affecting several projects and involving the allocation of work, developing/adjusting operational procedures, evaluating priorities, coordinating and supporting internal day-to-day activities, etc.
Very good knowledge of English and Spanish.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Webex, Visio, Microsoft SharePoint and Project will be an asset.
Annual Salary\: (Net of taxes)
US $ 44,337.00
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (Local Recruitment)
This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test may be used as a form of screening.
Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and e-Manual.
For information on PAHO please visit\: http\://www.paho.org
PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
PAHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance). Other benefits include\: 30 days annual leave, dependency benefits, pension plan, and health insurance scheme.
All applicants are required to complete an on-line profile to be considered for this post.
Administrative/support positions in Washington, D.C. are open to Washington, D.C. metropolitan area residents only. Candidates must be U.S. Citizens or hold a Permanent Resident Alien card (Green Card).
Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. A written test and/or interview will be held for this post. The post description is the official documentation for organizational purposes.
- Organization: WHO - World Health Organization
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: GS-5, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-05-29