Under the direct supervision of the Finance head of unit and general guidance of the DRR/O, the Finance Associate ensures effective execution of financial services and processes in CO and transparent utilization of financial resources. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Finance Associate can supervise clerical and support staff of the Finance Unit. The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Administration of budgets and cost-recovery system
- Accounting and administrative support
- Global payroll
- CO cash management
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Ensures implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- CO Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Preparation of cost sharing and trust fund agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
2. Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and modifications of budgets for UNDP management projects, follow-up with HQs on ASL for management projects.
- Presentation of researched information for planning and status of financial resources of the CO.
- Sending project budget to KK if authorized by the Senior Management (can be done only on the basis of signed products and project budgets).
- Timely preparation of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by UNDP, implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery,
3. Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit and performs Global payroll functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX projects; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Approval of vendors in Atlas (if a senior member of the Finance team).
- Global payrolls processing in Atlas.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared and processed; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Timely accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for UNDP projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items.
- Timely VAT reimbursements, payment of GLOC by the Government.
4. Ensures proper CO cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Alternate to Finance Analyst for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Alternate to Finance Analyst for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Transaction and stop payment initiation on internet banking systems.
- Preparation of monthly UN exchange rate report to Treasury.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Alternate to Finance Analyst for timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by Operations Manager/ Finance Analyst. Liaison with UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirement.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Atlas.
5. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the CO financial services and success in implementation of operational strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information ensures proper financial processes in the CO.
Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Encourages office staff to share knowledge and contribute to UNDP Practice Areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, making transactions, reporting.
- Sound knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
UNDP Accounting and Finance Training and certification
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
MANDATORY Accounting and Finance certification
5 to 6 years of progressively responsible finance experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in French and language of the duty station (Portuguese), good command in English.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Bissau
- Grade: GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Operations and Administrations
- Banking and Finance
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-05-31