Communications and Advocacy Analyst (Egyptian Nationals & Residents Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Complementing Egypt’s 2030 Sustainable Development Strategy, the country has a 2030 National Women’s Strategy (NWS) that focuses on women’s leadership and political participation; women’s economic empowerment; women’s social empowerment; and protection of women. In addition, the 2018-2022 UN Partnership Development Framework (UNPDF) adopted a strategic approach to support women’s empowerment including a standalone outcome area. Fully aligned with the above frameworks, UN Women Egypt is strongly positioned to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment based on its past and ongoing support, including to (a) the formulation and operationalization of the NWS, (b) the evidence-based progress monitoring of the status of women in alignment with the SDGs, (c) the operationalization of the agreed conclusions of the annual Commission on the Status of Women, (d) the areas of women’s political participation and leadership, women’s economic and financial inclusion, and combatting violence against women, and (e) the creation and coordination of partnerships between Government, civil society, the women’s movement, academia, the private sector and international development partners through the Gender and Development Group, the UN Gender Theme Group and joint programming approaches from national to grass-roots level.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Country Representative, the Communications and Advocacy Analyst is responsible for developing and ensuring implementation of the Office communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women and particularly gender equality and women’s empowerment priorities with partners, the media and the public. The Communications and Advocacy Analyst employs effective tools to aid in promoting UN Women programmes and implementing the broader UN Women Communication and Advocacy Strategy.
The Communications and Advocacy Analyst works in close collaboration with the Policy, Programme, Operations and technical teams in the country office, regional and global communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government counterpart officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Plan and design communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Prepare and conduct communication needs assessments for the country office, including projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
- Analyze requirements and synthesize proposals for elaboration of communication and advocacy strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and draft reports;
- Coordinate in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events;
- Provide advice and support regional and global communication strategy as needed.
2. Coordinate and implement the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the country
- Develop and produce communication instruments and materials, including briefing materials, press releases, and drafts of articles, and manage its dissemination;
- Identify and propose information opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Manage the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
3. Coordinate media relations for the country office
- Manage relationships with press in country; maintain and update database of relevant press;
- Respond to a variety of inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for press, as required;
- Draft talking points.
4. Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors
- Identify and develop new communication partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Provide inputs to packages for programme initiatives for donor review.
5. Supervise the country office web/ online presence
- Oversee country office websites’ content and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
- Supervise the management of the social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Manage uploading information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources
6. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key performance indicators
- Quality inputs and analysis into the communications strategy for the office
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in country
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Good knowledge of web-based knowledge management systems
- Good understanding of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Good knowledge of local country media landscape
- Good communication, presentation, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required.
- Minimum two years of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- Prior experience with the UN and women’s rights organizations is desirable.
- Experience in media relations is an asset;
- Experience in the use of social media.
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required;
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.