Colombo (Sri Lanka)
- Foresight – evidence mapping, market intelligence/horizon scanning, systems mapping.
- User insights – using citizen engagement to allow for comprehensive understanding of issues, as well as prototyped solutions
- Crowd intelligence – receiving challenges through social innovation camps, using crowd sourcing methods to find solutions
- Co-design – user-innovation; human-centered design, service design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advice and support the Lab team on ensuring all finalized interventions and solutions have considered gender elements and sensitivities surrounding the specific issue;
- Advice on best practices on gender inclusivity in the Lab’s work and facilitate knowledge building within the team on gender issues;
- Take initiative on working with the team on developing potential interventions aimed towards finding solutions to issues deeply rooted within a gender angle;
- Provide thematic support on overall innovation strategy/action plan of the Lab, including formulation, designing, planning and implementation of all tasks and activities of the Lab in any given cycle;
- Provide expertise on gender issues and concepts throughout a Lab cycle – from the initial stages of unpacking of the issue, to forming solutions, to testing, re-testing, and incorporating feedback to the prototype;
- Proactively scout for new innovative ideas and opportunities that will further the work of the Lab;
- Develop partnerships and network with local youth organizations, NGOs, cultural and religious organizations, the private sector, local media and academia working on gender issues to build and provide a space to nurture and test new and innovative ideas, develop the next generation of thought leaders and build local capacity;
- Work closely and effectively with government departments, private sector partners, academia, youth groups and other related stakeholders;
- Train the team, UNDP and Ministry staff, government counterparts and other end users in the country in the practices and concepts of gender studies if opportunity arises;
- Assist in any and all other tasks as required for the operation of the Lab.
- Experience working with civil society organizations, government ministries, and youth groups, as well as working in a dynamic and multidisciplinary team;
- Experience in conducting research and analysis on gender aspects, especially relating to development issues;
- Proven capacity to work with and lead collaborative teams across different locations and with different technical skills;
- Proven ability to manage relationships with partners, including government ministries, youth coalitions, universities, intellectual leaders, UN organizations, NGOs and the private sector;
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with experience in consensus building and in motivating cross-functional teams to meet ambitious project goals and timelines;
- Strong research, organizational, and networking skills;
- Highly passionate about gender issues, and interested in using social innovation to find solutions to these issues;
- High level of motivation, ability to show initiative and work independently without continuous supervision;
- Ability to work with a diverse set of partners to create problem specifications, system requirements, and implement innovations on a national scale;
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization;
- Experience in project management and rolling out of large scale projects especially in rural areas of Sri Lanka is highly desirable;
- Previous direct experience supporting innovation processes and tasks desirable;
- Familiarity with information systems and communication technologies is an asset;
- Ability to travel, occasionally to remote locations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Gender Studies, or any other field related to gender studies and/or social sciences with five (05) years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Gender Studies, or any other field related to gender studies and/or social sciences with seven (07) years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel etc.)
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, along with Sinhala and/or Tamil. Proficiency in Tamil (oral and/or written) is highly desirable
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.