Programme Specialist, Gender
Johannesburg (South Africa)
The Programme Specialist –Gender post is located in the East and Southern Africa Regional Office of UNFPA, Johannesburg. S/he is under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and reports directly to Regional Health Systems Adviser. S/he is a member of the Integrated Sexual Reproductive Health team and leads the Gender component of the Regional Programme, and provides and coordinates technical advice and support to Country Offices in the ESA region on Gender-related issues, including GBV prevention and response, FGM and gender mainstreaming.
The Programme Specialist provides strategic technical, policy and programmatic leadership for the East and Southern Africa region in the area of Gender to ensure the Regional (RO) and Country Offices (CO) remain abreast of the Fund’s policies and programme strategies, as well as current thinking, innovation and academic advance in the substantive area.
S/he analyses continental, as well as specific regional/cluster trends, and contributes to strategic action in response to these, and ensures that Gender issues are adequately addressed within regional and national development frameworks and programmes, including the achievement of the SDGs and ICPD Plan of Action.
S/he maintains primary responsibility for the provision of technical assistance, advocacy, policy and programme support to the countries of the region in the substantive area.
The primary roles of the Programme Specialist are:
1. Policy and Programme Development and Management
2. Research and Knowledge Management
3. Capacity development, Partnerships and technical Representation
In all activities, s/he works within an inter-disciplinary team providing integrated policy, programme and technical support to the region and the respective country teams. S/he also liaises with other units, such as the Programme and Technical Divisions, ensuring the timeliness, adequacy, relevance and quality of technical support to UNFPA operations.
- Post-graduate University Degree or equivalent in social anthropology, gender, sociology, or other field directly related to the substantive areas of this position
Knowledge and Experience:
- 7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in the field of Gender, of which seven years at the international level;
- Broad experience in Gender programming, including evidence of innovative approaches, essential
- Understanding of human rights and cultural dimensions of Gender, and knowledge of the Universal Periodic Review process, essential
- Experience of managing initiatives to eliminate GBV, essential
- Experience of managing initiatives to eliminate FGM, highly desirable
- Track record of technical leadership, contribution to technical knowledge management products and proven ability to produce demonstrable results;
- Demonstrated experience in advocacy, negotiations and/or policy dialogue, essential
- Experience in developing evidence-based BCC and social norm change programmes, an asset
- Experience of working effectively with civil society and diverse partners, an asset
- Experience/knowledge of Gender programming in humanitarian settings, an asset
- Strong verbal and written communications skills in English and/or in the relevant language in the region
- Demonstrated ability to mobilise resources and network within the academic and development community;
- Familiarity with management and monitoring tools, M&E and VfM is desirable;
- Field experience is strongly desirable.
- Fluency in English essential; working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is an asset.