Programme Assistant for UN Women (Duty Station: Manila) (1 Position) (For Filipinos Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Safe & Fair: Realizing women migrant workers’ rights and opportunities in the ASEAN region (2018/2022) (“Safe and Fair”), is part of the EU-UN Spotlight Initiative to eliminate violence against women and girls, a global, multi-year initiative between the European Union and United Nations. Safe & Fair is implemented through a partnership between the ILO and UN Women with the overriding objective of ensuring that labour migration is safe and fair for all women in the ASEAN region. The project aims to address women migrant workers’ vulnerabilities to violence and trafficking, strengthen rights-based and gender-responsive approaches to violence against women and labour migration governance and support access to essential services.
Women are increasingly migrating for work within the ASEAN region, and today close to half of all migrant workers in the region are women. However, women have fewer options than men for regular migration, and are often channeled into lower paid informal sector work with few if any labour protections. Due to gender inequalities and discrimination, women are particularly vulnerable to violence and trafficking, and services for survivors of violence often do not meet their needs.
Safe & Fair will be implemented in the ASEAN region, in countries of origin (Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Philippines, Vietnam) and countries of destination (Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand), working with women migrant workers, ASEAN Member States’ government authorities, ASEAN institutions, and worker, employer, civil society and community-based organizations.
Safe & Fair works in close cooperation with governments and social partners to achieve three inter-linking specific objectives: (1) Women migrant workers are better protected by gender-sensitive labour migration governance frameworks; (2) Women migrant workers are less vulnerable to violence and trafficking and benefit from coordinated responsive quality services; and (3) Data, knowledge and attitudes on the rights and contributions of women migrant workers are improved.
The Programme Assistant works with and provides support to the members of the Programme Team in the development and implementation of the Joint ILO- UN Women Project Safe & Fair: Realizing women migrant workers’ rights and opportunities in the ASEAN region. The Programme Assistant will provide support and assistance to the team to ensure effective programme implementation in line with UN Women rules and regulations and in coordination with ILO.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Analyst, the Programme Assistant supports the project operations by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Programme Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the Safe and Fair project staff and the Operations team to ensure consistent service delivery including UN Women and ILO Country and Regional Offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Programme Management Support
- Financial Management Support
- Administrative Support
- Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Programme Management Support
- Provide programme and administrative support to the programme team in the preparation of various programme documents, such as work plans, budgets, reports and proposals on programme implementation arrangements;
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit;
- Identify sources, and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, and other material as required;
- Assist the programme team in reviewing and preparing documentation on the procurement of goods and services, and support contract tracking.
- Help the team in providing guidance to the country and project offices on routine implementation of the project, tracking use of financial resources.
- Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas.
Financial Management Support
- Use Atlas to prepare required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of the project.
- Create requisitions in Atlas for receipt of goods and services, including making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
- Support the programme team in the financial management of the project.
- Organize, compile and process information from the donor as well as from the programme team, and keep track of the information through databases and e-filing.
- Support the programme team in the tracking of and reporting on mobilized resources.
Administrative Support to the Programme Unit
- Provide administrative support to the programme team in the organization of events, meetings and workshops, etc.;
- Make travel arrangements for the programme team and project staff, including preparation of travel requisitions and claims;
- Draft non-substantive correspondence;
- Maintain and organize up-to-date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Create and maintain files of correspondence/documents and electronically received information, and ensure up-to- date filing. Maintain both hardcopies and electronic copies of the office records and reference files on various subjects;
- Prepare presentation material/slides in Power-point for presentations for the meetings/workshops and keep all papers ready for meetings.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO and with relevant UN Women and ILO Offices focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Facilitate the exchange of information with relevant UN Women stakeholders working on Safe & Fair: Realizing women migrant workers’ rights and opportunities in the ASEAN region;
- Effectively coordinate with ILO Country Office for matters related to the project implementation;
Impact of Results:
The key results will have a positive impact on the efficiency of the programme team and contribute to timely delivery of the project. Accurate data entry and tracking, proactive follow-up on commitments, and clear presentation of information ensure proper programme implementation.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Integrity: Demonstrates consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrates an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrates an international outlook, appreciating differences in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrates and safeguards ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrates corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Takes charge of self-development and takes initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrates ability to work in a multicultural environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitates and encourages open communication, and strives for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stays composed and positive even in difficult moments and handles tense situations with diplomacy and tact;
- Conflict Management: Addresses conflicts proactively, striving for mutually acceptable solutions;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development, and applies newly acquired skills;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrates informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the programme team, including logistical support;
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration and implementation of new data management systems;
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- Ability to organize the workload meeting strict deadlines;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work, also under time constraints;
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with clients, demonstrating understanding of client's perspective; anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly;
- Ability to administer and execute financial processes and transactions;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required. University degree (or equivalent) in Business or Public Administration or related field is an asset.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience with administrative and/or programmatic tasks.
- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages. Experience in working with ATLAS is an advantage.
- Work experience in administrative support of development programme/project is an advantage.
- Work experience within the UN system is an asset.
- Fluency in English and the official national language is required.
Important application information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications with be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.