Regional Gender Coordinator
Overall purpose of the role
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Regional Director for East Africa & Yemen Regional Office, the Regional Gender Coordinator will provide technical support on gender mainstreaming and programming. This will involve mapping out DRC’s gender policies – with a view to internal processes and programming in all our three platforms; emergency, solutions and root causes. This work will entails partnering with other technical coordinators and senior management at country and regional level.
In carrying out these functions the Regional Gender Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring that the skills of Danish Refugee Council staff (EAY) in gender mainstreaming and programming are enhanced and that a regional gender analysis, action plan and budget are developed.
The Regional Gender Coordinator for DRC EAY will:
- Conduct a detailed gender analysis to identify internal, institutional gaps in DRCs gender policies, working environment, etc, as well as programmatic gaps in DRCs pillars, sectors and operational roll out of programs.
- The above mentioned analysis will establish a foundation for effectively mainstreaming gender into the design and implementation of DRC EAY programmes and lead to the development of an action plan and corresponding budget.
- Develop methodologies and guidelines for promoting effective gender mainstreaming across all programme areas and operations.
- Advise the country and regional offices to ensure that gender is mainstreamed and adequately reflected in relevant strategic documents, decisions and practice.
- Identify and advise on entry points for new initiatives for DRC EAY to strengthen national and local comprehension of gender issues as well as strengthen capacities for programming and implementing towards gender equity in the EAY Region in close consultation with the ESMT.
- Contribute to / take lead in developing DRC and joint policy position papers / briefs and advocacy messaging on thematic gender issues to support the raising of DRC’s profile in gender.
The Regional Gender Coordinator reports to the Regional Deputy Director
- Masters’ degree in relevant social sciences with expertise in gender analysis and policy;
- International development experience;
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 10 years’ proven experience in design, implementing and/or evaluating gender-related programmes/projects
- Experience in working in fragile and conflict contexts
- Proven experience with assessing and strengthening institutional, organisational and technical gender capacity
- Experience with implementing gender mainstreaming agendas across a variety of sectors,
- Ability to work under pressure and with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
- Excellent inter-personal and negotiation skills;
- Strong links with international, regional and national networks on gender equality and women’s rights;
- Experience in East Africa Region & Yemen will be seen as an advantage
- Highly experienced and skilled drafter;
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and adaptability;
- Experience working in insecure environments and willingness to travel within the region
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in French will be an added advantage
Contract: 4 months’ contract. Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for National staff in for Kenya.Candidates who possess right to live and work in Kenya without the need to apply for a work permit, may apply.
Availability: June 2018
Duty station: Nairobi with frequent travel to countries under the EAY Region
Application and CV
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than 11 June 2018.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.