Agronomist/Post-Harvest Associate Scientist
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-60 AAS/NRS/India
Agronomist/Post-Harvest Associate Scientist Assam, India
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic Agronomist/Post-Harvest Associate Scientist to support a development initiative that will demonstrate and scale up improved potato production packages and sustainable intensification technologies combined with best pre- and post-harvest practices to increase incomes of smallholder potato producers in target districts of the APART project in Assam, India
About the Project:
The Assam Agribusiness and Rural Transformation project (APART) is a comprehensive development project involving national and international partners funded by the World Bank. The project objective is to add value and improve resilience of selected agriculture value chains in targeted districts of Assam. CIP’s engagement is to provide technical backstopping, innovations, and capacity building along the entire potato value chain to increase its productivity, and improve the livelihoods of small-scale and marginal farmers. CIP will work in close collaboration with Assam government, university and private sector partners. CIP’s assignment in the APART project is for five years.
About the role:
This position will be based in Guwahati, India and will report to the Project Manager. The successful candidate will provide support to partners in planning and setting up field demonstrations, implementing sustainable intensification strategies, best practices in crop protection and improved storage management to minimize losses. The candidate will work with interdisciplinary science teams at CIP’s regional office in New Delhi, India and headquarters in Lima, Peru. The work duties include frequent travel within Assam.
• Support partners in household surveys and lead field surveys on pest and disease infestations. • Support project partners to demonstrate, monitor, and evaluate climate resilient and sustainable cropping practices.
• Record and manage data from field surveys and demonstrations and provide statistical analysis of sustainable intensification indicators and metrics.
out improved production and post-harvest management technologies and storage facilities.
• Contribute to writing training materials, technical progress reports and annual reviews and workplans as directed by the Project Manager.
What are we looking for?
• PhD in agriculture.
• At least 8 years of experience preferable in potato research and extension work with good knowledge of crop production and protection practices, including storage management. • More than 05 publications in peer – reviewed journals indexed as the main author. • Good data management and statistical skills and proficiency in the use of key software applications (MS
Word, MS Excel).
• Strongwritten and verbal communication skillsin English and Hindi(knowledgeofregional languageswould
be an advantage).
• Extensive experiences in training programs and ability working in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
• CIP is a recent World Food Price Winner, and CIP has been recently awarded the Al-Sumait Award for our
Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender equality for poor
people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly located in the
developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Generous compensation package commensurate with experience.
• One-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.
How to apply?
Visit the following link: https://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your
references. Screening of applications will begin on June 8, 2018 and will continue until the post is filled. All
applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are
particularly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Assam (India)
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: 2018-06-08