Logistics Associate G6
New York City (United States of America)
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: First University Degree or Diploma/Certificate in Purchasing and Supply, Logistics or Operations Management.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the English language.
To provide specialized support functions and/or supervise staff performing standard logistics/supply chain processes and activities to enable effective delivery of goods and services for all delivery modalities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- In close coordination with Country office logistics staff, provide operational and logistical support pertaining to food distributions for the refugee programme.
- Offer technical advice and support to the head of sub office and programme team on matters of commodity management, transport and warehousing.
- With high standard of client service mindset, respond to queries raised by the implementing partner on WFP commodity management, flag any unresolved issues to the Logistics officer in a timely manner.
- Liaise with the implementing partner and ensure that WFP food delivery plans are shared with them in good time for effective and timely distribution of food in the refugee camp.
- Contribute to budget preparation, monitoring and revision for the refugee programme, ensuring adherence to relevant procedures and in compliance with corporate standards.
- Conduct training of the implementing partner staff on WFP corporate standards in warehousing and commodity management.
- Facilitate data capturing of WFP food movements into the Logistics Execution Support System (LESS), monitor the validity of stock transfer orders (STOs) issued against the refugee programme.
- In close collaboration with programme unit, track and monitor the execution of the FRNs issued against the refugee programme.
- Supervise warehouse staff assigned to WFP by the implementing partner and ensure that Commodity management and warehousing practices are done according to WFP’s established guidelines.
- Perform any other related duties as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization||Demonstrates ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Mgmt||Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.|
|Information Management & Reporting||Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.|
|Market Analysis, Contracting and Operational Execution||Demonstrates ability to collect market information and process and analyse proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.|
|Warehouse and Inventory Management||Demonstrates ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.|
|Technical Assistance and Coordination||Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.|
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to plan, coordinate and manage multiple activities and adjust to changing priorities.
- Ability to meet deadlines and ability to cope with mounting work pressure.
- Good communication skills;
- Excellent written and analytical skills;
- Basic knowledge of Supply Chain operations (WFP operations is considered an advantage);
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Windows, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint and other related software;
- Experience and knowledge of i-tend and LESS application is an asset
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Deadline to receiving applications is 24th June 2018.
This position is open to Zambian Nationals only.
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Organization: UN WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: New York City (United States of America)
- Grade: GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Supply Chain
- Closing Date: 2018-06-24
LICA-6, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
Johannesburg (South Africa)
LICA-5, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education