Potato Breeder (18-62)
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 18-62 PB/GRS/CCCAP
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and innovative Potato Breeder to be part of a multidisciplinary team and support our potato plant breeding efforts at the CIP-China Center for Asia Pacific (CCCAP).
About the role:
This position will be based in Yanqing (Beijing), China. This position reports to the Chief Scientist CCCAP, while also reporting to the Global Leader Crop Improvement located at CIP’s headquarters in Lima, Peru. As a Potato Breeder, you will partner with different expert teams both within and outside CIP. Also, you will actively engage and use CIP´s genetic and genomic resources, as well as advanced breeding populations andvarietiesto enhance thecreationof new potato varietieswith higher productivity forthe main potato producing regions of China. You will also contribute to potato breeding efforts in other Asian countries through internal and external collaborations and projects.
Also, we expect the Potato Breeder to design and implement diverse scientific platforms (molecular markers/MAB, statistical support, bioinformatics, double haploids, others) to support Chinese and Asia- Pacific breeding team´s efforts in their potato breeding programs.
• Support and lead the potato breeding efforts of CCCAP, with a strong interaction with the Crop Improvement team at CIP as well as other science leaders, in order to achieve CIP’s and CCCAP´s strategicobjectives.CCCAP´soverall target is the developmentofsuccessful potato varietieswith novelandenhancedtraitsthatwillenablerapidadoptionandhigh-yieldamongChineseandAsia- Pacific farmers.
• Lead the development of advanced breeding service platforms like MAB and others to help CCCAP´sown breeding efforts as well as the efforts ofbreeding teams at institutes or universities in China and the Asia-Pacific region.
• Build internal and external contacts related to potato breeding and genetics in order to develop partnerships and collaborative relationships with Chinese and other Asian institutions. • Keep informed and up to date of the latest scientific advances regarding breeding, statistics, molecularmarkerscience,geneticresources,andanyothersupportingscientificarearelevantfor CCCAP´s potato breeding efforts in China and Asia Pacific.
• Ensure proper management of projects and overall financial resources.
• Takealeadershiproleinattractingcompetitivegrantsandexternalfundingfromarangeofpublic and private donors to help reach CCCAP´s and CIP´s goals. • Publish scientific papers in high-impact academic journals. Prepare project reports, presentation and other forms of public dissemination of CCCAP´s scientific work at workshops, conferences,
meetings, seminars and any other public platform where CIP or CCCAP need to be present.
• Provide opportunities for students and breeders to get exposure and expand ties between
national and international agricultural research institutions.
• Help supervise students, breeders, scientists, technicians and any other personnel reporting to
the Potato Breeder directly or indirectly.
• Maintain a collegial and positive work environment with peers, supervisors, and supervised
employees and collaborators.
What are we looking for?
• PhD in plant genetics, plant breeding or plant physiology with at least 5 years of working
experience managing breeding programs. Experience in potato is a plus.
• Good understanding of, and experience with, current molecular breeding approaches.
• Experience and knowledge of clonal, polyploid crops is preferred, specifically, a good
understanding of issues related to potato seed production and/or research.
• Experience with statistical software such as R, SAS, ASREML or GENSTAT.
• Demonstrable experience in grant/research proposal formulation and fundraising.
• Proactive personality, with the ability to find creative ways to solve problems or exploit
potentially novel solutions.
• Commitment to work, with a positive attitude, in a multi-partner, multi-disciplinary and multi-
• Advanced level in written and spoken English, working knowledge of Chinese is a plus.
Why should you consider this opportunity?
• CIP is an international organization that has a strong, state-of-the-art R&D background.
• CIP is a recentWorld FoodPriceWinner, and CIPhas been recently awarded the Al-Sumait Award
for our Orange Flesh Sweet Potato work in Africa.
poverty reduction and improving food security.
• CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved nutrition and well-being, and gender
equality for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world.
• CIP is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a network of 15 research centers that are mostly
located in the developing world and supported by more than 50 donor members.
What are we offering?
• Great career opportunity in an international organization.
• Salary is internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience.
• Comprehensive international insurance coverage.
• Attractive retirement plan.
• Three-year term contract with the possibility of renewal.
• Work in an equal and diverse workplace.How to apply?
Visit the following link: http://www.cipotato/vacancies and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with
your references. Screening of applications will begin on June 30, 2018 and will continue until the post is
filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries
are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Beijing (China)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Closing Date: 2018-06-30