ProCap seeks Senior Protection Advisors - ProCap
ProCap is the Protection Standby Capacity Project, established in 2005, to enhance the humanitarian system’s protection response and strengthen global protection capacity. ProCap is a collaboration between the Inter-Agency Standing Committee and the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC). ProCap is administrated by NRC’s global provider of expertise, NORCAP.
ProCap’s key priorities are:
- Provide support, guidance and leadership for protection coordination where systemic gaps exist, in humanitarian crisis and post-crisis situations.
- Supporting protection clusters, sectors and working groups to represent affected populations
- Protection expertise to non-protection mandated agencies
- Support national policy development efforts including: laws, policies and protection response strategies
- The project provides expertise before, during and after a crisis, conflict or disaster.
ProCap is searching for Senior Protection Advisors that:
- Can provide senior-level expertise and leadership on protection
- Enjoy working independently and seek variety and flexibility within your field of work
- Can be part of a larger effort to assist the UN in responding to current protection challenges and address gaps in the humanitarian system’s protection efforts
Generic Job Description:
- The Senior Protection Advisors’ role is to strengthen the strategic and operational response of the Humanitarian Country Team (or humanitarian community), conduct protection analysis and develop protection strategies and implementation plans for the Humanitarian Country Team/ Humanitarian Coordinator/ Residence Coordinator.
- Other important areas of responsibility include supporting protection coordination mechanisms, lead protection mainstreaming efforts, guiding the development of comprehensive protection strategies and building in-country protection capacities including on preparedness and contingency planning.
- Supporting national governments in the elaboration of protection strategies and frameworks for durable solutions for IDPs.
- These tasks are expected to be performed with emphasis on coordination, leadership and management of the protection response to internally displaced people and other affected populations.
- Development and implementation of national protection policies, strategies and operations in support of assistance, return/resettlement and recovery in situations of internal displacement
- Advocacy with host authorities, other country team members and donors
For more information about ProCap, please follow this link
- A minimum of 7 years of increasing responsible professional expertise and preferably management expertise from the UN or NGO community within the field of protection, where of minimum 5 years have been in an emergency/field context.
- Advanced University Degree in a relevant field of study (eg. human rights, humanitarian law, social sciences)
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the institutional mandates of UN agencies working in humanitarian crises and post-crisis situations, and of their approaches to protection work.
- Demonstrated ability to provide principled, effective and sustainable responses to problems affecting the protection, rights and legal status of people of concern
- Strong conceptual and practical understanding of protection issues and approaches in humanitarian contexts
- Strong understanding of protection standards, key sectoral issues and processes including advocacy for protection
- Hands-on experience with capacity building and coordination at senior level
- Solid understanding of monitoring and learning processes
- A history of effective management of conflicting priorities
- Fluency in English is compulsory
- Spanish and/or French is highly desirable
- Working knowledge of Arabic will be considered an asset.
- Excellent influencing and negotiation abilities
- Highly developed networking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly developed resiliency to work and live in remote locations with high levels of stress
- Ability to work proactively and independent
Being a Senior Protection Advisor in ProCap gives you:
- An opportunity to influence positive change in humanitarian action
- Flexible and attractive contracts offering annual workshops/trainings and personal follow up
- Successful applicants will become members of ProCap. You will then be contracted on a deployment specific basis to a country operation, according to need.
- Salary conditions in line with UN
- Free housing of moderate standard on assignment
- 2,5 leave days per month plus R&R where applicable as per UN rules and regulations
- Medical/health insurances.
- No family allowances are offered
- The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) will contractually administer the Senior Protection Advisors who will remain employees of the NRC while deployed to the UN
- The length of each deployment is generally six months, but can be extended.
- Selected candidates are expected to be available for mission within the first three (3) months of having been accepted to the roster.
- Shortlisted candidates may need to pass a language test as part of the selection process.
- Interviews will be conducted face to face in Oslo, Norway
- All candidates will get feedback within three weeks after the closing of this advertisement.
Application Procedures and CV Registration:
- Kindly submit your CV and application in English and include your full name as written in your passport.
- It is expected that you build a CV in Webcruiter by completing your personal information, education, professional work history, language skills and other relevant sections in the fields available. It is possible to attach your CV and other application documents in addition if you wish to.
- Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
- NRC reserves the right to conduct a full background check on shortlisted candidates.
- Approved Health Certificate will be required prior to contract commencement and deployment.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Oslo (Norway)
- Grade: Level not specified
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: