Fishery and aquaculture information management specialist
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants
in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries
are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- contribute to the curation, compilation, editing and dissemination of the Fishery and Aquaculture knowledge base (e.g. handling textual and iconographic contents in multiple languages, data management, standard schemas, webpages technical editing).
- ensure data harmonization, preserve the integrity and consistency of the "Fishery and Aquaculture knowledge" as a whole, therefore offering easy access to the fisheries and aquaculture community;
- Information products\: manage, process, document and disseminate fishery and aquaculture information and knowledge products (publications including meeting documents, fact sheets and web pages, web apps, thematic databases, other relevant information products);
- Data management\: handle thematic databases and provide assistance to technical editors and data owners; support and promote Master Data Management.
- Digital assets\: coordinate websites content management in collaboration with data owners and technical editors in order to ensure updating, maintenance, collection and archiving of digital assets in support of Departmental information policy and standards;
- Web activities\:
- develop, maintain and promote contents of FI related web sites in the broader context of migration towards the corporate fao.org website;
- build capacity through training of internal and external staff in FI information publishing workflow and/or in the use of departmental and corporate Content Management Systems (CMS), Wiki and other corporate systems;
- Support the development of technical inputs for the preparation of departmental communication products (newsletters, Twitter posts, news items, others);
- monitor and report on web trends and social media usage;
- Information management requirements\: liaise with OCC, CIO, LEG, any other FAO units and external partner networks for collaborations, shared developments, data interoperability, team knowledge exchange, etc.;
- Information management on policies and standards\: coordinate and/or support the development of data and information access and sharing policies, content metadata, data modelling and schemas;
- FAO Partnerships and projects\: liaise with external and internal stakeholders on fisheries and aquaculture initiatives to provide knowledge and technical expertise/guidance; support data sharing; provide training and capacity building.
- Meetings and seminars management\: provide support for meeting documentation and conduct events as required;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree (for Consultants)
- University degree (for PSA), a technical diploma plus demonstrated and relevant professional experience of at least 4 years can be accepted in lieu of a university degree in fishery sciences, biology, natural sciences, statistics, mathematics, economics, information management or related disciplines.
- Relevant experience in one or more areas in the field of fishery and aquaculture information management and fishery and aquaculture data and web management, preferably in FIASâs areas of work.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two, or of Arabic, Chinese or Russian (for Consultants); Working knowledge of English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese or Russian (for PSAs).
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Leading, Engaging and Empowering
- Partnering and Advocating
- Strategic Thinking
- Extent and relevance of experience with fishery and aquaculture information management in different countries and regions, especially in developing countries and countries in transition.
- Extent and length of knowledge and experience in performing the above mentioned tasks and responsibilities.
- Experience with computer data processing systems, databases, and exposure to innovation in information technology.
- Extent and relevance of knowledge and understanding of the work of international organizations, regional entities and national governments.
- Ability to carry out research and summarize, interpret and communicate findings clearly and concisely both orally and in written, preferably in English.
- Previous working experience with FAO and its partners in the above mentioned domains and tasks.
- Ability to work independently, with minimum supervision
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Candidates with acceptable language certificate/s should upload them when submitting their application. For details, visit http\://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: rome
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Agriculture and Forestry
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Documentation and Information Management
- Water Resource Management
- Sustainable use of oceans, seas and marine resources
- Closing Date: 2019-01-01