Call For Expression Of Interest â RLC Internship Programme
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants
in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries
are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO strongly encourages candidates from the Global South and Indigenous Peoples
to apply to this Call for Expression of Interest.
The Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aiming to attract talented young women and men who are strongly motivated to share their new perspectives, innovative ideas and latest research experience in FAOâs domains. The programme provides selected students, enrolled in an under-graduate, graduate or post-graduate degree programme or recent graduates with the opportunity to supplement, their academic knowledge with a practical work assignments in a field related to the work of FAO. This will enable them to gain a better understanding of FAOâs mandate and programmes. At the same time, the Programme provides FAO with the assistance of qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in connection to FAO Strategic Objectives and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to support development in member countries in the areas of agriculture, fisheries and forestry. FAOâs mandate is to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy.
The intern will report to an assigned supervisor.
The intern will be assigned to different fields of work according to his/her profile and to the needs of the Organization.
Tasks and responsibilities
The intern will perform the functions specified in the Terms of Reference (TOR) prepared by the hiring office before the beginning of the assignment and agreed by the intern.
- Enrolled in an under-graduate, graduate degree programme in a bona fide (i.e. listed in the IAU/UNESCO data base) educational institution at the time of application, or recent graduates. Applicants pursuing their studies in a country where higher education is not divided into under-graduate and graduate stages must have completed at least three years of full-time studies towards the completion of a degree. Candidates must specialize in a field relevant to the mission and work of FAO.
- Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, French, English, Russian or Spanish).
- Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset. Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE and LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Be nationals of FAO Member Nations.
- Candidates should be aged between 21 and 30.
- Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment and have good communication skills.
- Candidates with family members (defined as brother, sister, mother or father) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not be eligible for the Internship Programme.
- Candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the proposed duty station prior to the start of the internship assignment.
FAO Core Competencies
Relevant academic experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
Candidates may be assigned in a field relevant to the mission and work of FAO.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognised in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- All applications will be reviewed and only qualified applicants will be contacted directly for interviews by the hiring office.
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
- FAO does not provide any remuneration to volunteers and fellows. FAO internsâ stipend policy may change as a result of the UN System-wide policy review.
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: various locations
- Grade: Internship
- Project and Programme Management
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2018-08-31