Administrative Assistant (Open to Fijian Nationals Only)
Suva (Fiji )
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Pacific Multi-Country Office is based in Suva, Fiji and works alongside over 20 other UN agencies in the region and in 14 countries: Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Palau, Republic of Marshall Islands, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu.
Under its Strategic Note 2018-2022, UN Women Fiji MCO focuses on delivering on four interlinked programme areas underpinned by support for intergovernmental and normative processes:
- Women’s Political Empowerment and Leadership
- Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Ending Violence against Women
- Gender and Protection in Humanitarian Action and Disaster Risk Reduction
Under the guidance of the Operations Manager and supervision of the Administrative Associate, the Administrative Assistant provides support to office operations performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The Administrative Assistant promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Administrative Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and projects staff in the MCO and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of administrative activities with UN Women/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to preparation of administrative team results-oriented workplans.
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the Administrative Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Contacts with visitors and staff, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes;
- Compilation and preparation of briefing and presentation materials, speeches, background information and documentation for meetings and missions;
- Translation of simple correspondences, when needed.
Ensures effective administrative, logistical and procurement support, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of shipments, customs clearance arrangements, preparation of documents for UN Women shipments (received/sent);
- Preparation of all necessary documentation, implementation of follow-up actions;
- Perform Buyer role in Atlas, prepare/close Purchase Orders (POs) and contracts in and outside Atlas;
- Support to organization of procurement processes including preparation of RFQs, ITBs or RFPs documents, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their preliminary evaluation;
- Review procurement requests and initiate procurement procedures for office and projects equipment, supplies and services, as necessary;
- Prepare submissions to the Procurement Review Committee (PRC), as necessary.
- Preparation of Purchase Orders;
- Organize travel including purchase of tickets, Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) calculation;
- Arrangements of hotel reservations, preparation of travel authorizations, processing requests for visas, identity cards and other documents;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Collection of information for DSA, travel agencies and other administrative surveys, support to organization of common services;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Extraction of data from various sources;
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports;
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the Administrative Associate;
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
- Provide administrative support to contract management processes; maintain databases;
- Develop and update the rosters of suppliers;
- Maintain filing system.
Provides support to office maintenance and assets management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of support to maintenance of common premises and common services.
- Maintain records of assets management and prepare reports;
- Provide input to inventory reports;
- Implement the inventory and physical verification control in the office and projects;
- Update the databases or other relevant electronic management systems with asset, human resources and procurement data for use by CO/ MCO, Regional Office and HQ;
Organize logistical services:
- Process requests for visas for all UN travelers;
- Arrange hotel reservations for visiting UN/UN Women officials;
- Organize hotel and event arrangements for all official UN Women meetings/ functions, engagements, ensure that all requirements are catered for as required;
- Arrange transportation for high-level officials;
- Perform other administrative tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Support knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/projects staff on administration;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Support other operations related activities as may be needed and requested by Supervisor.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely coordination, facilitation and implementation of administration and procurement activities based on procurement plans and available budget;
- Proper and accurate maintenance of files and databases, documents are easily retrievable;
- Timely organization of transport and logistics activities.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to administer administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of procurement processes, systems, administrative rules and regulations;
- Knowledge in the use of spreadsheets and database packages;
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Good IT and web based management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Education & Certification:
- Completion of secondary education is required;
- Specialized training and/or ccertification in administration, procurement is desirable but not a requirement.
- Or a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Business Administration or related field is an asset;
- Procurement Certification from an internationally recognized provider such as CIPS (level 2) is an asset;
- Willingness to take UN Women internal procurement certifications is required.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, procurement, HR, logistics including programme or project support services.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc);
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems, such as Atlas is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN official working language is an asset.