National Consultant - Gender and Statistics Adviser
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In September 2015, governments united behind the ambitious 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which features 17 new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and 169 targets that aim to end poverty, combat inequalities and promote prosperity by 2030 while protecting the environment. To successfully track the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, a robust and equally ambitious monitoring framework is needed.
To support member states in implementing the 2030 Agenda, UN Women’s Flagship Programme Initiative Making Every Woman and Girl Count (MEWGC) aims to effect a radical shift in the production, availability, accessibility and use of quality data and statistics on key aspects of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
In Kenya, Making Every Woman and Girl Count (MEWGC) is an initiative meant to strengthen the capacity of the Government and Non-State Actors to produce and use gender statistics in order to inform and monitor the implementation of Kenya’s gender-related commitments in the 2030 Agenda.
Duties and Responsibilities
In view of the above, UN Women Kenya Country Office is contracting the services of a Gender and Statistics Adviser to mainly provide technical support to Kenya National Bureau of Statistics (KNBS) in strengthening the integration of gender statistics in the national statistical systems. The Adviser will also support KNBS coordination with other state agencies and non-state actors in implementation of gender statistics project. Under the direct supervision of the Director General-Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, and with co-supervision of the Team Leader-Democratic Governance at UN Women Kenya Country Office, the Gender and Statistics Advisor will be tasked to undertake the following:
1. Provide technical input during consultations and negotiations between UN Women, KNBS, State Department of Gender Affairs and Council of Governors in the drafting of the letter of agreement (LoA) between KNBS and UN Women;
2.Provide technical input in the drafting of any other letter of agreement (s) or Partnership Contract Agreement (s) between UN Women and state agencies and non-state actors respectively. Output-Letter of agreement (s) and PCAs (s) as appropriate;
3. The Consultant will develop a comprehensive implementation plan on how to strengthen capacity of national statistical systems to integrate gender and building capacity of data producers and users from the National to the County level;
Output-Gender capacity strengthening implementation plan and capacity building reports.
Outputs-report on gender inputs provided in review of the Statistics Act 2006, gender inputs provided in laws/regulations at county level; report on TA provided to statistical coordination mechanisms; report on TA provided to MDCAs on agriculture sector strategic plans; and report on gender TA provided to M&E frameworks.
Outputs - Facilitators training guideline on gender statistics and Participants reference handbook on gender statistics; Participatory training design framework including objectives, delivery method, target participants, Workshop programmes and Presentations; Three training reports.
Outputs-report on TA provided on high level biannual foras where gender statistics related issues are discussed with policy makers and other stakeholders; and report on TA provided on research grants and NSA grants on gender statistics.
Core Values and Ethics• Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and able to work in a multi-national environment;• Support the Organization’s corporate goal;• Comply with UN WOMEN rules, regulations and code of conduct;• Demonstrate integrity.
Teamwork• Build effective client relationships and partnerships;• Interact with all levels of staff in the organization;• Excellent interpersonal skills;• Build and share knowledge;• Provide guidance and support to others;• Apply existing knowledge to work;• Make valuable practice contributions.
Communication• Excellent oral and written skills;• Listen actively and respond effectively.
Task Management• Plan, prioritize and deliver a variety of tasks on time;• Exercise sound judgment/analysis;• Develop creative solutions.
Learning• Promote learning environment in the office;• Provide constructive coaching and feedback for others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Master’s degree on gender statistics, pure statistics, mathematics, population and demography, gender studies, economics, planning, governance or related professions;
- Minimum of ten years of extensive professional experience and track record in the collection, processing and analysis of gender statistics;
- Solid background in gender responsive organizational development (OD);
- Experience in working with government agencies on gender and/or statistics;
- Demonstrated skills in use of statistical data analysis packages;
- Knowledge of the statistical environment in Kenya will be an asset;
- Excellent technical writing and editing skills; and Ability to deliver outputs on time, handle multiple tasks and work under stressful situations.
Fluent in English language.