International Consultant: Trainer and facilitator for a 1325 NAP development workshop
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action globally. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women supports governmental authorities and civil society organizations throughout Europe and Central Asia (ECA) to implement UN Security Council resolution 1325 and its subsequent resolutions. These resolutions, making up the core of the international women, peace and security (WPS) agenda, provide a critical framework to advance inclusion of women in peace processes, conflict prevention and security sector reform.
In Tajikistan through its Program Office, UN Women promotes gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment and integration of gender perspectives into national development efforts. UN Women has been cooperating with the Government of Tajikistan in support of the implementation of UNSCR 1325 to empower women to take part in peacebuilding, conflict prevention and other security related efforts. The Government of Tajikistan developed and implemented a National Action Plan 1325 for the period 2014-2018; and the Technical Working Group on NAP 1325 under the Presidential Administration was created to coordinate the implementation of the NAP 1325 amongst different governmental structures (Ministry of Internal Affairs, National Security Committee, Prosecutor’s General, CWFA, etc.)
To support the National Committee for Women and Family Affairs under the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and Technical Working Group, UN Women is currently seeking an international consultant to assist in facilitating a national consultation on the development of a new National Action Plan 1325 for the period of 2018-2022 in line with the National Gender Strategy for 2016-2020. The consultation meeting should review the results of the first 1325 NAP and identify priorities for the new one. The international consultant should prepare training materials and facilitate the national meeting in Dushanbe on 26 (afternoon)-27-28 (morning) July [preliminary date – still to be fully confirmed]. He/she will be supported by a national WPS consultant.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Governance, Peace and Security Policy Advisor at the UN Women Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (UN Women ECA RO), and in close cooperation with the Tajikistan Program Presence staff.
He/she will be responsible for the following specific tasks:
1. Prepare a 2-day workshop to start the process of designing a new 1325 NAP – design the programme, based on interactive/inclusive training approach, prepare handout materials, etc. The workshop should include:
- a participants’ introduction session;
- overview on progress on implementation of WPS agenda in Tajikistan; reflection on country context and WPS needs (in plenary and small groups);
- presentation on best practices of NAP 1325 development and implementation in the region; and session on next steps (5 working days) ;
- prioritization exercise to agree on focus and directions for NAP 1325 in Tajikistan;
- exercise on NAP monitoring and evaluation framework;
- linkages and synergies with sectoral policies/strategies;
- localized NAP 1325;
- exercise on NAP costing.
- Facilitate the workshop as a leading resource person with a group of some 30-50 Tajik government and civil society representatives in Dushanbe. Moderate discussion together with event organizers. (2 flight days + 2 days training).
- After the training, prepare a brief report on the training’s results, including an assessment of the next steps for 1325 NAP development, the provision of a NAP logframe recommendation, responsible parties, etc.(1 day).
Based on the activities described above, the consultants work is expected to result in the following outputs and deliverables:
- Development and finalization of the agenda and workshop program;
- Effective facilitation of the training;
- Workshop report with a focus on key insights and recommendations for follow up
- Integrity - Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism - Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diversity - Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Additionally, the individual should have an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Communication - Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
- Organizational Awareness - Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Teamwork - Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Proven training and facilitation skills,
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with UN Staff members and government officials;
- Strong negotiating skills;
- Knowledge and experience of political and social situation in Tajikistan and/or its neighboring countries
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Strong initiative-taker;
- Focuses on impact and results for client;
Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences or area relevant to the ToR.
- At least 7 years substantive experience in designing/facilitating women, peace and security processes, programs and 1325 NAP drafting and/or implementation;
- A least 5 years’ experience in facilitation, consensus-building, multi-stakeholder dialogue processes, mediation, negotiation;
- Previous experience with UN Women and/or with other UN Agencies and/or internationally recognized humanitarian and/or development organizations;
- Previous professional experience in Europe and/or Central Asia region at the country and/or regional level.
Fluency in spoken English, Russian is an advantage but simultaneous translation will be available at the workshop