Call for Experts: Translators
UN Women is the UN organization dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide. UN Women supports UN Member States as they set global standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to design laws, policies, programmes and services needed to implement these standards. It stands behind women’s equal participation in all aspects of life, focusing on five priority areas: (1) increasing women’s leadership and participation; (2) ending violence against women; (3) engaging women in all aspects of peace and security processes; (4) enhancing women’s economic empowerment; and (5) making gender equality central to national development planning and budgeting. UN Women coordinates and promotes the UN system’s work in advancing gender equality.
UN Women East and Southern Africa Regional Office (ESARO) Communications department is soliciting for interested and qualified candidates (individuals, not firms) to be considered for provision of translation services. The expert roster will consist of highly-qualified and experienced candidates. Only applicants who pass all screening procedures will be included into the roster and recommended for consideration for translator consultancy positions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working under the guidance of the Communication Specialist and in close collaboration with the programme focal points, the translators will translate UN Women content from English-French/other languages and vice-versa.
The translators will:
- Perform interpreting / translating duties for UN Women regional office, country offices, and other stakeholders dealing with issues of women and girls;
- Assist UN Women field offices and thematic programme colleagues to translate publications and other documents;
- Obtain biographical information and case histories from UN Women beneficiaries.
- Respect for Diversity
- Interest in the UN system and general knowledge of development issues;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to effectively apply knowledge of relevant languages to deliver accurate translations in accordance with defined requirements;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team from varied cultures and professional background;
- Strong organizational and communication skills (written and spoken);
- Ability to write clear and concise reports.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in Language Study, Linguistics, or other relevant fields with at least 3 (three) years of professional translating/interpreting experience, or;
- Training or certification as an Interpreter in the required language.
- Minimum 5 years of professional work experience as a translator;
- A good understanding of UN editing rules is an asset;
- Proficient in computer applications.
- Fluency in English;
- Knowledge of other UN languages (French, Spanish, Arabic) an asset.
Successful candidates will be included in the vetted Roster of Experts for the maximum period of 1 year. Membership beyond the 1-year period must be renewed through a new application process. Entry into the expert roster system does not necessarily mean that contract with UN Women is guaranteed.
Where a request for services arises, the UN Women shall directly contact the most qualified candidates from the roster.