Communications Consultant for projects Development of Second Biennial Update Report (SBUR) and Growing Green Businesses in Montenegro
The development path of the Montenegro by 2030 will focus on implementation of improved policies for sustainable development of Montenegro that are setting up comprehensive framework for a national response to the challenges to sustainable development of Montenegrin society. As a result, UNDP country office in Montenegro is focusing on projects that will contribute to these efforts.The focus of these efforts is twofold:
- securing prompt and quality finalization of reporting processes to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change;
- promote private sector investment in low-carbon and green businesses in Montenegro.
It is important to note that Montenegro became a party to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change by succession, after gaining independence in 2006, and became a non-Annex I Party to the UNFCCC. Montenegro developed and submitted National Climate Change Strategy by 2030 and submitted its Intended nationally determined contribution (INDC) to the UNFCCC Secretariat in September 2015. The responsible authority and main body for coordinating and articulating national climate actions in Montenegro is the Ministry for Sustainable Development and Tourism (MSDT), through its Directorate for Climate Change. MSDT is taking active role on the international level focusing on implementation of voluntarily reporting obligations, preparing for national contributions for the post 2020 period, and supporting EU in advocating its ambitious targets and goals.The Government of Montenegro adopted 30% reduction as an internal target by 2030 (INDC), compared to 1990 level, and is now evaluating and implementing mitigation options to meet this goal. As far as Montenegro’s commitments as a non-Annex 1 party of the UNFCCC are concerned, country prepared two National Communications (NCs), an Initial National Communication in 2010 and the Second National Communication (SNC) in 2015. Montenegro follows non-Annex I guidance for the preparation of the NC and GHG inventories. Moreover, Montenegro submitted its First Biennial Update Report (FBUR) in January 2016. Currently, Montenegro works on development of its Third National Communication and its Second Biennial Update Report.
In parallel, as all commitments laid down in strategic documents and sustainable development framework will have direct effect and consequences on countries economy, projects focused on greening Montenegro economy are in initial phase of implementation. The project objective is to promote private sector investment in low-carbon and green businesses in Montenegro through addressing identified root causes of and barriers to investment in low-carbon economic growth.
The project strategy therefore is designed to:
- Improving national policy and business support services for green start-ups and SMEs.- Improving Green business financing.- Raising awareness of green business practices and financing opportunities.
For the purpose of this Terms of Reference and associate assignments, selected candidate will focus on supporting the project teams and relevant partners in increasing the awareness of:
- entrepreneurs and the Montenegrin banking sector regarding green business practices and financing green business projects;- raising awareness on climate change using various communications tools, with the special emphasis on web site www.klimatskepromjene.me and social media tools to be created;- increase capacities of national partners in using communicational tools in order to disseminate relevant information and solicitate actions and positive behaviors. Under this activity selected candidate will work with project team and team from Cetinje Green Business Incubator resulting in preparation of promotional material and communication tools.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and overall supervision of the Project Managers of the above-mentioned projects (time split between projects is 50/50), the consultant will work on increasing awareness and visibility of the projects’ results through different communications tools, with the emphasis on social media and web sites. The consultant will be expected to carry out the following core responsibilities:
- Regular update of the web site www.klimatskepromjene.me, including preparation of web site information (based on inputs provided from the Directorate for Climate Change) and UNDP Programme Manager in local and English language;- Development and posting contents for the project Growing Green Businesses in Montenegro;- Development and posting contents on the social media profiles of the projects mentioned above;- Active participation in creation of different Projects communication products and materials for conferences, forums and other events;- Contribute to online engagement activities helping create online community of fans that spreads the word about the Projects;- Deploying various social media instruments to disseminate messages about the Projects;- Prepare infographics, stories and blogs from events and project milestones;- Work with project team and team from Cetinje Green Business Incubator resulting in preparation of promotional material and communication tools; - Recommend new and effective communication means;
As mentioned above, emphasis of the planned activities will be put on increasing visibility of projects activities to a significant extent, by disseminating information through social media platforms. These activities should stimulate information exchange and interaction between relevant partners and, to the extent possible, position projects as communication hubs for mentioned topics.
The selected candidate should have experience in setting up similar communication networks and platforms. The focus his/her work would:
1. Help decide which social platforms projects are going to be present on, i.e. implement research of the activities on similar projects and activities on different platforms, and prepare analysis of what is working and why. These activities should focus, but are not limited to:- Conducting a search on all social media platforms;- Compiling a list of tools that will be used for generating content;- Following what kind of content is posted on social media platforms: photos, videos, status updates and the like;- Looking out for engagement - shares, comments and reactions;- Analyzing if those are right for the projects context;- Choosing the perfect platform for social media content strategy and create a “follower profile”;- Creating a table in Excel or Google Sheets and write down useful information.
2. Based on the input provided above, prepare Social Media Content Strategy and set up:- Campaign goals aligned with projects ambitions;- Metrics for measurement of the campaign;- Establish a guide to keep content consistent - design content creation process;- Create a Consistent Schedule (timing for posting, schedule adjusted to specific target groups, etc.);- Tracking of progress and needed adjustments.- Be responsible for generating social media content in line with above conclusions.
Main deliverables will include the following:
1. Regular update of the web site www.klimatskepromjene.me and the web site of the project GGBM in both Montenegrin and English, at least 5 information posted per month per project - throughout the assignment.2. Development of Social Media Content Strategy for both projects – end August 2018.3. Development and posting contents on the social media profiles of both projects – end August 2018 / March 2019.4.Tracking the progress on usage of communications tools based on the Strategy – end August 2018 / March 2019.
Time duration and travel:
The assignment will be carried out within 120 working days in the period from 15th July 2018 until 30th September 2019. Due to the nature of the assignment, the consultants would have to closely collaborate with the Directorate for Climate Change and Ministry of Economy.
Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Understands the mandate of the UN System in the country;
- Promotes vision, mission and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates ability to manage complexities and work under pressure, as well as conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with developed attention to details;
- Ability to search, select, analyse and prepare user friendly information;
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Degree in Communications, International Relations, Economy, applicable Social or Technical Sciences;
- MSc or higher degree would be considered as asset;
- Experience in developing and posting web contents, writing stories and using social media;
- Excellent knowledge of local and English language, written and spoken;
- Excellent computer skills, proven skills related to posting contents on web sites (WordPress or similar programs) and social media;
Criteria for selection:
Combined Scoring method will be used. When using this weighted scoring method, the award of the contract should be made to the inidividual consultant whose offer has been evaluated and determined as: (i) responsive, compliant, acceptable, and (ii) having received the highest score out of a pre-determined set of weighted technical and financial criteria specific to the solicitation.
- Technical criteria weight - 70% (Background and education 10%; Relevant previous experience 20%; Substantial knowledge/Required competencies 30%; Required language 10%);
- Financial criteria weight - 30%.
Only offerors obtaining a minimum 490 points for technical criteria will be considered for the financial evaluation. For more information on procurement methodology for Individual Contractors, please refer to Procurement Notice.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their applications by July 5, 2018 by using the Apply now button. The application should contain a duly completed Personal History Form (P11) that can be downloaded from http://www.me.undp.org/content/montenegro/en/home/operations/jobs.html. Please note that UNDP jobsite system allows only one uploading of application document, so please make sure that you merge all your documents into a single file.
Only the short-listed applicants will be contacted and requested to submit a letter of interest including a price quotation indicating the lump sum (in EUR) requested for the work envisaged in the section "Description of Responsibilities".
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Podgorica (Montenegro)
- Grade: National Consultant - Locally recruited Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Communication and Public Information
- Documentation and Information Management
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-07-20