Program Data Analyst -- Botswana
Please Note: This is an international recruitment and open to expatriates, third country nationals and Botswana nationals.
Under the direction of the Program Quality Manager, the Analyst leads and coordinates supports the analysis and utilization of routine program monitoring, evaluation, research data to support data-driven decision making and adaptive management in the program’s quality management system, including: 1) Design of measurement and analytic components of performance management framework; 2) Routine and ad hoc data analysis and triangulation to assess program quality and impact; 3) Development of data products and facilitate processes that support the interpretation of data for adaptive management and applied learning; and 4) Support efforts to disseminate achievements and learning.
The Analyst will work closely with others in the Programs Department, M&E department, and other stakeholders with the explicit goal of ensuring the quality and effectiveness of the program. The PQM will develop the structures, processes and tools to promote data-driven adaptive management, and will strengthen the capacity and culture of PCI to capture, share and apply learning to continuously improve the program.
This position will be based in Gaborone, Botswana. Contract term will be two years, with the possibility of extension.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Design of Performance Management Framework
- Under the direction of the PQM Manager**, contributes significantly to the design of the measurement and analysis components of the performance management framework,** ensuring the measures are operationalized and linked to the M&E framework
- Analyzes the processes, structures, and outputs of M&E and information systems and provide technical feedback and recommendations to ensure that the systems can generate quality timely data to support the performance management framework
Data Analysis and Triangulation
- Performs advanced data cleaning and provides summaries on data quality and recommendations for improving data quality
- Identifies and leads strategies to integrate and/or triangulate data from various data sources to identify trends, issues, potential learnings, gaps or other findings related to program quality and impact (e.g. quality improvement/SIMS data, program monitoring data, survey/research data, financial/expenditure data) that are part of the program management framework
- Performs advanced analysis tasks, including extraction and/or integration of individual- or group-level data for analysis, and analysis of data to demonstrate results and facilitate decision making around program quality and impact including
- Analysis of specific subgroups (e.g. geography, gender, age)
- Analysis of outcomes over time (e.g. cohort analysis)
- Trends in performance measures over time
- Leads and/or contributes to the analytical design of research and/or special studies, and participates/contributes to the analysis of data generated from these studies. Facilitates and/or participates in data dissemination efforts with a focus on interpretation and application of findings.
Data Review Products and Processes
- Develops and packages relevant data products that facilitate data utilization and interpretation, including the development of graphic presentation of data (e.g. dashboards), geographic presentation of data (maps), and other analysis products tailored to the needs of different audiences
- Coordinate and/or help facilitate quarterly and annual program reviews and planning workshops with PQM, M&E and programs team to facilitate understanding and interpretation of data. Presents data in clear and effective ways for decision makers to understand data. Facilitates discussions on the interpretation of data.
- Contributes to training or other capacity building activities to effectively analyze, interpret, and utilize data for program quality management
Learning and Knowledge Management
- With the PQM Manager, regularly disseminate information and learning on project achievements and learning within PCI, both in Botswana and to PCI globally through project level and institutional knowledge sharing platforms. Pursue opportunities and support efforts to disseminate learning externally.
- Contributes as needed to donor reports
- Participate in PCI’s innovation efforts and in teams on innovation initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Position Parameters/Special Responsibilities Required:
- Must be willing to travel 10-20% of the time, including to remote areas
- Master’s degree in relevant degree including statistics/biostatistics, epidemiology, social science, public health, or related field
- At least two years of relevant professional experience in analysis of public health and/or social science data
Demonstrated experience and expertise in database management and/or statistical software such as Excel, Access, Stata, or SPSS. Proficiency in SQL is desirable.
Demonstrated experience in developing user friendly data visualizations or presentation
Familiarity with business intelligence or other visualization platforms preferred
Demonstrated experience working with large complex data sets, such KAP studies, longitudinal data, and/or population based data as the Demographic and Health Surveys or Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys (preferred).
- Expertise in Geographic Information Systems and geospatial data management (preferred).
- Experience using DHIS2 (Tracker) platform (preferred)
- Familiarity with PEPFAR and/or USAID programs (preferred).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively.
- A passion for the mission and values of PCI
- Organization: PCI - Project Concern International
- Location: Gaborone (Botswana)
- Grade: Junior
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2018-07-31